We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edinburgh for the day - with two kids 5 & 13 what to do?

Strabane
Level Contributor
563 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Edinburgh for the day - with two kids 5 & 13 what to do?

Hi myself, husband and two girls aged 5 & 13 are staying in Ayr but are thinking of getting train to Edinburgh for the day as I always wanted to see it - have been to Glasgow several times and Im aware that Edinburgh is not really a shopping city like Glasgow.

we just want to ponder about maybe visit the castle - is it much of a trek - they not fond of walking to far.... you know what kids are like and husbands!! any ideas on what we could do for the day to say weve seen Edinburgh.

Thanks in advance

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,981 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Edinburgh for the day - with two kids 5 & 13 what to do?

This forum is full of suggestions if you care to look through other posts - Castle, Museums, Hopon-hopoff buses, etc, etc, etc

Unfortunately the castle is on top of a hill, but you can get a bus from Waverley station. However, the walk can be very atmospheric, going up the closes...

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,795 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Edinburgh for the day - with two kids 5 & 13 what to do?

Hi Grainne2,

Unfortunately Edinburgh is a very "walkie" city, especially the main touristy areas. It would seem a shame to spend your one day in Edinburgh out at the Zoo or Deep Sea World (although these attractions are both excellent).

The Royal Mile has the Castle at one end, the Palace at Holyrood and the Scottish Parliament at the other, and is a mile long cobbled street gilded with museums, cafes and shops, and flanked by mysterious closes and wynds.

Personally, my suggestion would be to "do" the Royal Mile, but to punctuate the walking with fun activities for the kids (and hubbie!). There is the "Museum of Childhood" part way down, as well as a "Fudge Kitchen" where you can watch the fudge being made, and sample it too. Dynamic Earth and The National Museum for Scotland are short (5-10 minute) walks off the Royal Mile, and offer a huge array of activities and interest for children.

Edited: 24 June 2010, 20:17
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
992 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Edinburgh for the day - with two kids 5 & 13 what to do?

Edinburgh is very much a shopping city - especially Princes Street and George Street. This may not appeal to all members of your family though!

A trip to the Castle is a good idea - particularly if you arrive in time for the firing of the 1 o'clock gun. A trip on one of the hop-on hop-off open top sightseeing tour buses may be a good idea too - it will give you a good overview. Neither are cheap though.

Don't bother with the really tacky Edinburgh Dungeon - a waste of time and money (in my opinion).

Open top buses: www.edinburghtour.com

Castle: www.edinburghcastle.gov.uk

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Edinburgh for the day - with two kids 5 & 13 what to do?

I agree that the Castle is worth getting them too. You might take the bus up and then walk down. I would hold Dynamic Earth out there as a reward. It's a great museum with lots of hands on exhibits that children and interested learners of all ages can enjoy. I've been a couple of times and every time I enjoy the fact that I'm surrounded by Scottish children exploring science as it relates to Scotland. Pam

Strabane
Level Contributor
563 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Edinburgh for the day - with two kids 5 & 13 what to do?

Thanks everybody I think the Royal Mile is the one with the castle at the end - we can saunter and investigate things on the way even the Dynamic Musem sounds great- weve all day afterall.

Thanks Again.

One more question sorry - with regards to the train station how central is it ot the Royal Mile?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,981 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Edinburgh for the day - with two kids 5 & 13 what to do?

The train will emerge from a tunnel immediately below the Castle. It then trundles about 400 yards into Waverley station As the crow flies, the train will only be about 200 yards from the Royal Mile.

edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Edinburgh for the day - with two kids 5 & 13 what to do?

There is a lot to do and see on the Royal Mile and I would include the Museum of Childhood as it is very interesting for all age groups. Also have a look at www.edinburgh-royalmile.com as that will give you further information about attractions and places of interest.

Strabane
Level Contributor
563 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Edinburgh for the day - with two kids 5 & 13 what to do?

thanks everybody you have been more than informative - looking forward to the visit.

9. Re: Edinburgh for the day - with two kids 5 & 13 what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 December 2010, 06:16