We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holyrood?

Nottingham, England
Level Contributor
854 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Holyrood?

I've just looked at the website for info about Holyrood. I don't want to do the tour inside, can I just go into the grounds to get pictures from the outside without paying an entry fee?

Thanks,

Martin

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
392 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holyrood?

In the old days you could wander into the courtyard, take photos and move off. They cottoned onto the fact that a lot of people weren't visiting and have closed the gates. You can get a back view from the Park and you can poke your camera through the bars of the gate, but to see the place properly you do have to pay the admission.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
49 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holyrood?

We just returned from a great week in Edinburgh. I'm not trying to change your mind, but three members of our group rated Holyrood Palace (and the excellent audio tour) as their favorite part of the trip. The castle is impressive, but we all liked the palace better. (And the Royal yacht was great as well! We purchased the Royal Ticket which was well worth it for us!)

Enjoy your trip! I can't wait to return one day!

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Holyrood?

For some people pushing their camera through the railings at the front to get a shot of the building is enough, then visit Holyrood's public toilets and gift shop before heading off elsewhere. That won't cost you anything.

For others paying the admission and getting a full tour is what it's all about.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
392 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holyrood?

What you get with Holyrood Palace is a building. It was the first and perhaps the best classical style building in Scotland. It kicked off Scotland's love affair with classicism that continued until the last century. On the the other hand, the Palace feels empty with its succession of State rooms. Like Sewhandy and Henneth, I am a fan. But it isn't for everyone.

5. Re: Holyrood?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2011, 06:16