We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Street party or hotel hogmany gala ball?

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wales
Level Contributor
162 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Street party or hotel hogmany gala ball?

We're considering coming to Edinburgh for New Years eve and have looked at what the various hotels have to offer for this night.

However, I'm unsure as to whether to do this or just book somewhere basic & take in the Street Party instead.

An example is the Apex Hotel chain is doing a 5 course gala ball for £85 with accomodation at about £200/room for 2 people B+B

We are both "young 50's' so will the Street Party suit us???

Thanks"

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,760 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Street party or hotel hogmany gala ball?

The Street Party is just what is says on the tin - a street, a lot of people (thousands upon thousands), some "stages" with live music, copious alcohol and epic queues for the WCs.

In my experience it is raucous and fun, especially if you are in a big group. However it is easy to get "lost" in the atmosphere, and anyone with a degree of claustrophobia would do well to avoid it completely!

Of course, the weather affects everything in Scotland, and the Street party is not infrequently cancelled due to high winds, storms etc, and even it it does go ahead the weather can be less than pleasant.

There is also the Concert/Ceilidh in Princes St Gardens, which costs more, but is a more exclusive experience, and less crowded.

There is no doubt that celebrating the new year with thousands of other revellers on a street, under the canapy of the glorious castle fireworks is wonderful, but it isn't to everyones tastes.

I imagine the gala ball in a hotel with be a much more laid back, warmer and dryer experience, but probably one that would be reminicent of hundreds of other cities around the World - the St party is something different.

Abs :-)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
143 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Street party or hotel hogmany gala ball?

I agree with Abs, the street party is a great experience if you like the crowds, standing for hours, and being exposed to the elements. However, you will never beat the feeling of being with 80,000 other people as they all celebrate the 'bells'

I would suggest looking into the ceilidh in the gardens as this is at least a bit different, away from the crazy crowds, but still in the thick of it.

However, if dancing is not your think, then the hogamany gala ball would be great. You can leave to go outside and watch the amazing firework show, so you get to experience the best of both worlds!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,588 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Street party or hotel hogmany gala ball?

Whatever you decide, don't forget the highlight on January 1 - the Loony Dook

http://www.theloonydook.co.uk/

Unmissable.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
25 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Street party or hotel hogmany gala ball?

If you decide to stay on one of the hotels on Princes Stree or indeed sometimes the surrounding area, you will proabably get a street pass included in your price (please check first though). If the Gala ball isn't going as planned, nip upstairs to put your thermals on and join the street party! :-)

Wales
Level Contributor
162 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Street party or hotel hogmany gala ball?

Thanks a lot for these great comments.

I think it may now come down to a choice of hotel, location & what they offer with regards to being able to leave, take in the atmosphere & possibly (if the weather is bad) stay all evening.

Can anyone recommend a good hotel for this?

Austin
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Street party or hotel hogmany gala ball?

Rather than start a new topic, this seems topical enough.

Is there any chance in Hades that our group could do the Hogmany street party, then hop on an early morning train/bus to Glasgow and catch Rangers-Celtic at 3:00 on January 1? Assume I can get the New Years Eve hotel and the game ticket, I am more concerned about getting out of town as all the other crowds disperse.

Any advice would help!!

Thanks

Scott

Liverpool, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Street party or hotel hogmany gala ball?

'We ( four fifty somethings) had a great time a few years ago,We bought street party tickets and booked for a informal ceildh at the apex but stayed at the thistle on the corner of princes street, enjoyed the early part of the night on george street , headed off to the Apex ,piper and dancing and buffet , outside for the fireworks, wondered back up to the street party, thinned out by then but great atmosphere, back to Thistle 2ish, to be given soup and stovies in the bar!

The view from the thistle is wonderful, but book early. Hope this helps.

Wol
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
395 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Street party or hotel hogmany gala ball?

Without doubt I would do the Hotel Ball. Less chance of being disappointed when/if street party cancelled due to the weather.

Wales
Level Contributor
162 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Street party or hotel hogmany gala ball?

We will almost certainly be doing the hotel hogmany gala ball & not the street party.

Anyone recommend a good one - even outside of the city if possible.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
580 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Street party or hotel hogmany gala ball?

Harvey Nichols (not a hotel of course) does a great ceilidh, with a lovely dinner with matched wines. It's an easy walk to any hotel around Princes Street. The Balmoral does a ball. It's a lovely hotel but I have heard the ball lacks atmosphere