We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Car Service

Can anyone recommend a car service to take my mother and me from Edinburgh airport into the town center, High Street to be exact. I know there are much more economical ways to get there but my mother would prefer to hire a car. Thanks very much.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
264 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Service

You are better just to walk out of the terminal and stand in the taxi rank. The taxi's are all licensed and very well organised so you won't get ripped off and the airport is very strict on who can pick passengers up.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
79 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Service

Try a Google search on chauffeur driven cars in the Edinburgh area.Reputable company like Liddles operate for the business community with airport transfers by Mercedes Benz E class and S class saloons.However as has been pointed out it is just as easy to get into a cab,if you are going up to the high street.Cost off cab should be approx £15.Cost of limo may be 3 -4 times this although dont quote me ! cheapest way to high street would be by number 35 bus outside terminal at a cost of £1 yes £1.

Gods Country...
Level Contributor
763 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Service

Airportcarz are based in the airport and offer personal service without waiting. www.airportcarz.co.uk.

I've used them several times at different airports and always been very happy with service and costs.

Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Service

Thank you all for your help. I'm all for the cab, however my mother wants the car. We'll give AirportCarz a whirl. Thanks again!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
79 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Service

If you have not booked it hold off ! Ive seen some of their modes of transport and they include vans (Ford Transits/Ford Galaxy).They are an outfit which operate out of a small shed 300 yards from airport opposite the hilton hotel.Trust me please !

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
94 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Service

If I were to take a cab to the Royal Mile area, and say the fare is 15GBP, what would be an appropriate tip?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
79 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Service

Provided the driver communicates with you and is helpful and friendly then 10-15 per cent of the fare.However DONT feel pressurised into leaving a tip if the driver is rude grumpy and downright ill mannered.On arrival at airport turn left and walk past the blue sevice 100 buses down a glass tunnel where taxis are located.DONT attempt to get into a taxi which is Not licenced to pick up as yet at the airport.Have a good stay.Another tip.......airport taxis comprise of standard saloon cars and London hackney type vehicles.If you are travelling with a lot of cases and there are more than 2 in the party the then ask the taxi dispatcher for a people carrier.It costs the same amount and gives you more room.If you pre book a return leg ask the taxi dispatcher for a discount.

Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Service

Very helpful informataion! Will drivers help you with your bags up to your apartment? We're a couple floors up and will probably have somewhat heavy suitcases. Thanks again.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,482 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Service

The taxi driver will probably help you with your bags from the taxi to the street door, but not up the stairs or up a close. They will be unwilling to leave their vehicle unattended and the High Street probably has stringent parking restrictions.