We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edinburgh tattoo - where to park & what time does it finish

Scotland
Level Contributor
39 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Edinburgh tattoo - where to park & what time does it finish

We are going to the Tattoo tomoroow night and I'm wondering where to park. Would we be so lucky to get park in Chambers Street? Or I'd wondered about the streets around the old George Square carpark, or Tollcross/Lothian Road area. We want to park somewhere with easy way out to either Hillend or Straiton.

Also what time does it finish & then how slow are the stands to empty?

Thanks for any advice!

Best Seller
Loch Ness, Glencoe and the Highlands...
1,905 reviews
from US$63.50*
Likely To Sell Out
3-Day Isle of Skye and Scottish...
469 reviews
from US$323.00*
3-Day Isle of Skye and Highlands Tour...
88 reviews
from US$317.30*
3-Day Isle of Skye and Scottish...
168 reviews
from US$576.80*
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,383 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Edinburgh tattoo - where to park & what time does it finish

<<< Would we be so lucky to get park in Chambers Street? >>>

No unless you are an official coach as it's closed off for them to park at.

You have little or no chance around George Square due to the other Festivals that are on.

Why don't you park at the Park & Ride AT Straiton.

The show runs for 90 minutes but it's going to be SLOW emptying out

edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,421 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Edinburgh tattoo - where to park & what time does it finish

The queues for the Tattoo seem to start forming at least an hour before the 9p.m start so I would think that somewhere around the Meadows would suit as there are quite a few places in which to park and you can easily walk from there to and from the Castle. There are a lot of shows etc ongoing in and around George Square so parking in the George Square area would be difficult.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,797 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Edinburgh tattoo - where to park & what time does it finish

The Straiton Park and Ride is good in theory, but I've just investigated the bus services (47/67), and they both end at ~22.00, so not useable. I agree that the back of Marchmont MIGHT offer up parking, and it is free after 17.30. Just make sure you park in a public bay and not a permit holders only bay. Can be complicated in Marchmont where roads chop and change between the two. If no success there, I'd keep trying south, in thr side streets off Newington Road, you can always grab a 33/49/48 and others back into town.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,383 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Edinburgh tattoo - where to park & what time does it finish

<<< but I've just investigated the bus services (47/67), and they both end at ~22.00, so not useable. >>>

No they don't.

From North Bridge the last 47 is 23:14 - you could also get the the 37 to Loanhead from where it's a short walk to the P&R

lothianbuses.com/service-number/3747x47.html

Then there is the Sheriffhall P&R which is about 5 minutes drive from Straiton

lothianbuses.com/images/…RM100704.pdf

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,797 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Edinburgh tattoo - where to park & what time does it finish

Personally I wouldn't bank on getting to North Bridge for 23.15. The tattoo doesn't start emptying until at least 22.45, and as I'm sure you know it takes an age to make your way through the crowds and out. Sheriffhall is a good idea, I'd second that. :-D

Abs

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
143 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Edinburgh tattoo - where to park & what time does it finish

I would advise parking around about Edinburgh University/George Street as you are far enough away from the main hub.

The tattoo seems to be finishing around about 1040 most nights, and i agree it does take an age to get out the street is a small, cobbled narrow street and with the numbers of people attending it can be very slow. Therefore if you have parked your car near Edinburgh University you will not have to worry about being late for a bus-you can just take your time wandering through the crowds.

Hope you enjoy it!

Carrie

Scotland
Level Contributor
39 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Edinburgh tattoo - where to park & what time does it finish

Thanks everyone for all your help & advice. I think we'll probably park around the Kings theatre & walk from there - walking boots on - for the walk & to keep the feet warm - and waterproofs. Just hope it doesn't rain like it is here tonight!! But we'll go prepared anyway. Really looking forward to it. I vaguely recall going as a child, but my husband has never been.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,797 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Edinburgh tattoo - where to park & what time does it finish

Good idea. If there is nowhere to park there, pop to the multistorey at Fountain Park, it would probably have some spaces, a 25 min walk to the castle.

Enjoy it!

Abs :-)

Edited: 23 August 2010, 21:01
Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,670 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Edinburgh tattoo - where to park & what time does it finish

It depends on where you're sat as to how long it takes to get out. Our seats were in B on the North side and it took less than 10 minutes to get out though those closer to the castle would have been right at the back of the crowds.

edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,421 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Edinburgh tattoo - where to park & what time does it finish

Drove along Melville Drive, through the Meadows tonight. prior to the Tattoo starting and there were quite a few cars parked plus spaces for a number of other cars to park. Do not see any problem and it is an easy walk from there to the Castle.