We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glasgow to Edinburgh

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
87 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Glasgow to Edinburgh

Hi,

I will be going from Glasgow to Edinburgh for a short visit (2 nights). Want to know what is the best way to get there? Train?!

Thank you

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,663 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Glasgow to Edinburgh

It's only an hour between them so there's no need to stay overnight and the bus & train connections are frequent. I wouldn't say any of them are "best" as there's littel to choose between them

You can use any of the following

megabus.com

citylink.co.uk

firstscotrail.com

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,283 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glasgow to Edinburgh

There are trains every 15 minutes between the cities during the day, the journey takes between 45-55 minutes.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
490 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glasgow to Edinburgh

The train is certainly faster but that doesn't automatically make it the best choice. For example, you can only get off the train at either Haymarket or Waverley station, whereas the Citylink bus allows you to get off at a number of points on the way into the city. So, if your accommodation was on the bus route, that might be your best option.

Either the bus or the train will take you right into Edinburgh city centre, where you can get a taxi to your accommodation. If someone is going to meet you by car at Edinburgh, the train would be the best choice as Waverley station has better drop-off/pick-up facilities.

The cost difference between Citylink bus and train is insignifant - the train costs a little more. But you can get very cheap tickets on Megabus, if you book online in advance.

Personally, I like the train for speed and comfort but I also quite enjoy the occasional journey on Citylink buses, which are also pretty comfortable and allow you to see different scenery from the trains.

West Viriginia
Level Contributor
195 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glasgow to Edinburgh

Woulde it be an hour by car?

Thanks,

Jim W

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
490 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glasgow to Edinburgh

Depends on traffic Jim. On a Sunday morning, you could easily do the journey in 45-50 minutes by car. Rush hour on a weekday however is likely to take about twice as long.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,663 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Glasgow to Edinburgh

There's also the cost of parking in central Edinburgh to consider (if you have to ask you can't afford it) unless you stop at one of the park & rides on the outskirts and get a bus in from there.

West Viriginia
Level Contributor
195 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Glasgow to Edinburgh

Could I assume rush hour is; 7a to 9a & 4p to 6p like here in the the states?

Thanks

JW

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Glasgow to Edinburgh

Yes, although on Thursdays heavy traffic continues into the evening on account of late-night shopping in central stores. The west side of the city (which is the way in from Glasgow) is particularly painful driving.

Strongly recommend using one of the park-and-ride facilities. The easiest to find is probably the one at the airport. It's a compact city centre, so no need for a car to move between points of interest.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
958 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Glasgow to Edinburgh

Trains depart from Glasgow Queen Street station to Edinburgh Waverley station every 15 minutes for much of the day. The journey time is approximately 50 minutes.

Although there is also a train service from Glasgow Central station to Edinburgh, the service from Glasgow Queen Street is faster and more frequent.

See www.scotrail.co.uk

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
87 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Glasgow to Edinburgh

Thank you for feedback. I will be going from Grand Central hotel (central station) in Glasgow to Caledonian Hilton in Edinburgh. What would be the best choice?