We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire from Edinburgh with a drop off in Fort William

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, AB, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire from Edinburgh with a drop off in Fort William

We are planning a Great Glen Way walk in August 2011 and will be arriving in Edinburgh after 10 days in France. We only need a car for one day to drive from Edinburgh to Fort William and I have been unable to find a company that will allow a drop off inFort William. Any ideas?

Nottingham, England
Level Contributor
854 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire from Edinburgh with a drop off in Fort William

Why not get either a train to Fort William from Edinburgh. Might require a change in Glasgow. Check www.scotrail.co.uk.

Or get the coach, check citylink.co.uk

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,663 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire from Edinburgh with a drop off in Fort William

Why do you need a car? You can get train or coach from Edinburgh - though you need to change in Glasgow. If you are coming from France and heading straight for Fort William it's probably best to fly to Glasgow especially as August in Edinburgh is the Peak of Peak season due to the Festivals.

Calgary, AB, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire from Edinburgh with a drop off in Fort William

We thought it would be cheaper for 4 people to split the cost of a car than to pay for rail fares. Plus, we'd like to be able to stop in Stirling. That being said, I know we can rent a car in Inverness to take us back to Glasgow (where we will fly home from) and maybe we can just make the trip to Glasgow a couple of days longer and stop in Edinburgh on the way. Thanks for the input. It was a great help.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire from Edinburgh with a drop off in Fort William

Your problem may be finding companies that have depots in both towns - all major companies will be represented in Edinburgh but there won't be much in Fort William - a few local companies yes, but they won't be in Edinburgh as well.

Try Sixt if you haven't already - I think they serve both places

Calgary, AB, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire from Edinburgh with a drop off in Fort William

For 4 people, it would be cheaper and more flexible to rent a car, but maybe we will start out in Glasgow and end up in Edinburgh instead of the other way around. Thanks for the advice!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,143 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car hire from Edinburgh with a drop off in Fort William

This question has been asked befoer about one way drop offs in Fort Willian and I don't think that even Sixt allow it as they only have a small branch.

You can get a one way advance fare from Edinburgh to Fort William for £15.90. I doubt you can get a car with a one way drop off fee for less than that. Plus you would have to put fuel in it.

Calgary, AB, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car hire from Edinburgh with a drop off in Fort William

Can you tell me how to access those rates? All I have seen at the Scot Rail site is 42 pounds and I can't get any information sooner than 12 weeks prior to my travel. If I can get those rates, it would be cheaper to go by train. Thanks!

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Car hire from Edinburgh with a drop off in Fort William

You access those rates 12 weeks (or sometimes less) prior to travel.That's when cheap fares are released.

The £42 fare you can buy on the day - no point in buying it in advance other than seat reservations. Even then you won't get seat reservations buying too far ahead - the 12 week window applies there too.

Fort William...
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Car hire from Edinburgh with a drop off in Fort William

I completely understand your needs here, I hear exactly the same a lot. I actually work in Fort William in my Dad's rental company - Easydrive. We are actually the SIXT licensee and we cannot do one way rentals through SIXT as we cannot share fleet with their vehicles from other independent branches.

What I would suggest drop an email to: reservations@easydrivescotland.co.uk

What we may be able to do is collect/drop off the car at Edinburgh at a collection fee as we do not have offices there. I am unsure which would be the best option for you.What I would however say, this option will be more expensive but more convenient.

I hope this helps!

Kim

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
392 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car hire from Edinburgh with a drop off in Fort William

The Sixt franchisee at Fort William was recently mentioned in a bad way in this thread: tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186545-i910-k40…

Seeing someone connected with that franchise has responded here, they may wish to put their side of the story over on that thread. In the absence of that, the OP and the rest of us are likely to draw our own conclusions about Easy Drive / Sixt Fort William.