We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train tickets from Edinburgh to Glasgow

Davidson, North...
Level Contributor
67 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Train tickets from Edinburgh to Glasgow

I've been pricing one way train tickets from Edinburgh to Glasgow in May, and the cheapest seem to be 11 pounds per person. Is it possible to get an Advance purchase ticket at a cheaper rate? If so, when are they available? If this is the cheapest I'm likely to find, then I'll go ahead and book. Any advice will be appreciated.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
438 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train tickets from Edinburgh to Glasgow

I paid £22 for a Return on a Saturday recently but I bought my ticket on the day as I was going to drive until the weather intervened. I'm not sure you will get much reduction on a Single fare.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train tickets from Edinburgh to Glasgow

I don't know the answer to your question, but I do know that when I travelled between the two cities, the Scottish Citylink buses were cheaper than the train. They took maybe 15 mins. longer for the journey, but were more frequent. Glasgow Queen Street train station and Buchanan bus station are practically adjacent.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,121 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train tickets from Edinburgh to Glasgow

Advance purchase fares inside Scotland are only available on longer journeys.

For Edinburgh to Glasgow there is no advantage in buying in advance.

You can simply pay on the day at the station.

If you want a cheaper fare you can have a look at Scottish Citylink coaches who do offer some internet deals.

Davidson, North...
Level Contributor
67 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train tickets from Edinburgh to Glasgow

Many thanks for the information. I'll just wait and purchase the tickets when we're ready to depart. I may check out the bus connections as well.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,001 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train tickets from Edinburgh to Glasgow

If you want a cheaper option then check out Megabus

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train tickets from Edinburgh to Glasgow

Gordon that must have been an open return ticket you bought as an Off Peak return which is all day on a Saturday is only about 70p more than a single.

Ronw, it is more like 30 minutes longer on the bus and they have the same frequency as the train of every 15 mins during the day.

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train tickets from Edinburgh to Glasgow

If there are three or four of you going together it'll work out cheaper if you get a group save ticket as that covers all your fares for £21.40. Can be bought on day of travel.

www.scotrail.co.uk/content/groupsave.html

Edited: 25 March 2011, 21:28
8. Re: Train tickets from Edinburgh to Glasgow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 14:19