We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can't climb stairs at Edinburgh Castle question

Canada
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
Can't climb stairs at Edinburgh Castle question

DH can't climb stairs because of bad knee. How can we get a lift up there? Do we have to pre arrange with castle? I understand there is some sort of shuttle/bus.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,742 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can't climb stairs at Edinburgh Castle question

If you mean how to get to the castle - take a taxi to the Esplanade.

Once inside the castle I don't think there are lifts.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,006 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Can't climb stairs at Edinburgh Castle question

Never seen a shuttle bus except for the hop on-hop off anywhere near the castle. Inside the castle it's steep and cobbled but with few stairs

Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,123 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can't climb stairs at Edinburgh Castle question

I have seen a minibus operating inside the castle.

Check the castle website for details.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,683 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can't climb stairs at Edinburgh Castle question

You can get a taxi to The Esplanade, basically the front gate of The Castle. After that Edinburgh Castle has a courtesy vehicle available to take visitors with mobility problems from The Esplanade to Crown Square. There is flat access route to The Scottish Regalia and a ramp to Great Hall and at St Margaret’s Chapel. However if you are unable to manage any steps at all there are some areas that will be out of your reach. I think it would be best to advise Historic Scotland of your request before your visit. There are limited parking spaces for disabled visitors at The Castle, you can book in advance by telephoning 0131 310 5114.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Can't climb stairs at Edinburgh Castle question

Have you seen this web page which has information about disabled access to the castle:

historic-scotland.gov.uk/propertyresults/…

"To book parking spaces for disabled visitors at the Castle, telephone 0131 310 5114 in advance of your visit, as places are limited.

A courtesy vehicle is normally available to take visitors with disabilities from the esplanade to Crown Square. Please contact the castle on 0131 225 9846 to make arrangements.

There is good access around a number of major sights within the castle including: Mons Meg, the Great Hall, St Margaret’s Chapel viewpoint, the National War Museum of Scotland, the Scots Dragoon Guards Museum, Crown Square, the Crown Room, Scottish National War Memorial, restaurant and shop.

Due to width restrictions, some areas are unsuitable for wheelchair access. These include the military prisons, St Margaret’s Chapel, Queen Mary’s Room, King’s Dining Room and Crown Jewels exhibition although most of these are accessible for more mobile visitors.

From Crown Square visitors with disabilities can gain access to the Crown Jewels. There is a ramp over the four steps into the Great Hall and at St Margaret’s Chapel.

Wheelchairs are available from the castle but steep, cobbled roadways make pushing hard work."

There is no information on the website as to how you can book a wheelchair. If you are wanting to do this, eitherr rind the number given above or try emailing;

hs.ticketing@scotland.gsi.gov.uk

Saxtons River...
Level Contributor
295 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can't climb stairs at Edinburgh Castle question

I used the courtesy car service when I visited the Castle last year. I didn't need to book ahead. I mentioned to an employee at the gate that I needed the service. She used her walkie-talkie to contact the driver, who came down from the upper reaches of the Castle and drove me up. I walked down.

7. Re: Can't climb stairs at Edinburgh Castle question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 10:18