We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire in Scotland

Perth Western...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Car Hire in Scotland

I intend hiring a car to travel around some of Scotland in early January 2012. I then intend going to Ireland. I have been told I can't take a hire car from Scotland to Ireland. Is this true? If so, is there a car hire company that allows me to drop off car in Stranraer before taking a ferry to Belfast?

Many thanks

Andrew

Perth

Western Australia

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,530 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire in Scotland

You may be able to take the car to Northern Ireland (Belfast) as it is still part of the United Kingdom. Once you cross the border about 30 miles south of Belfast you are in The republic of Ireland .

This is a different country, with different laws, currency , insurance and driving regulations. It is rare that hire companies will permit cross border travel.

Perth Western...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire in Scotland

Thankyou!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
392 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire in Scotland

I rented a car last weekend from Enterprise in Edinburgh, who generally offer competitive rates. Their booking reference stated: "VEHICLES MAY BE TAKEN TO NORTHERN IRELAND AND/OR IRELAND FROM MAINLAND UK, BUT MUST BE RETURNED TO A MAINLAND UK LOCATION. "

Double-check with the branch you plan to rent from or do a test booking on the Internet, which you can cancel if it's not suitable.

London
Level Contributor
10,408 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire in Scotland

Most of the major hire companies would enable you to take a car from Scotland to Ireland - but their additional fees for this would be so eye watering that it would never make financial sense for you to do it.

Hertz have a depot at Stranraer. However, one way rental (even within the UK) usually carries an additional fee. Are you collecting the car from an airport branch? If you don't have huge amounts of luggage, the avoidance of that one way fee itself may be enough to tip the cost balance towards returning the car to the airport location you collected it from and flying over to Ireland.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,224 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Hire in Scotland

You also have the cost of the ferry trip to add on as well - including the return trip which will have to be paid for even if you don't personally return with the car.

In most cases it's cheaper and certainly much quicker to drop the car off at an airport and fly to Ireland

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,291 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Hire in Scotland

You need to distinguish between taking a hire car to Ireland and dropping it off there. As no 3 says, the former should be no problem, as long as the rental company knows you plan to do it and have arranged the necessary insurance cover.

Dropping a car off in a different country is a very different (and much more expensive) proposition.

Perth Western...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Hire in Scotland

Thankyou!

Perth Western...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Hire in Scotland

Thankyou!

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Hire in Scotland

You should phone Hertz in Stranraer for advice.

We picked up a car there a few weeks ago and were really impressed by the level of service. My wife has allergies and we were taken round the available cars to make sure the interiors didn't trigger anything off. We really felt we mattered.

Returning wasnt so good, the usual lady was on holiday and a very rude woman from another branch was there.

Al I can say is ask for Ellen, she is a million miles away from the usual corporate drone

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
264 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Hire in Scotland

Hi

Own a guest house - lot of people us Arnold Clark. Several depots in Edinburgh. Also do 1 way car hire.