We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

free parking

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
26 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
free parking

We are staying across from the meadows at an apartment very near to the Bruntsfield Links. Is street parking free on the weekends. If not, is there free parking or reasonably priced parking close by?

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
103 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: free parking

I checked the date - no it isnt April fools day. Sorry , free parking does not exist in central Edinburgh - except on a Sunday, when street parking is free all day. Definitly no free parking around Bruntsfield - I live nearby. There are street meters (if you can find a space, and be warned do not use Resident Parking Permit spaces) .Its about £1 an hour, with time restrictions. if you are leaving your car I suggest you park much further out, you need to be past Morningside, and get the bus in. Bruntsfield is well served by buses, look at the Lothian Buses website for details.

Be warned, Traffic Wardens are vicious !!!!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,489 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: free parking

Nope, it's pay & display until 6:30pm on Saturdays. About a mile to the south in Morningside then off the A702 it's free after 6:30pm on Fridays

Level Contributor
26 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: free parking

thanks for your response. are there parking facilities where we can keep the car? We are not from Edinburgh and i fear this can present a major problem for us. TH

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,489 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: free parking

The nearest street to Bruntsfield that can be relied on to have free parking space on a weekend is Belcarres Road. You might find something in the side streets between there and Church Hill but you'd be lucky.

Unfortunately none of the park & rides around Edinburgh are convenient for Bruntsfield and not all of them are 24 hour.

If you have any option then the best thing to do with a car in Edinburgh is not to have one.

Edited: 04 April 2011, 18:38
Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,505 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: free parking

The question has to be asked, why do you need a car? If you are in central Edinburgh then the local bus services are comprehensive.

If you really need a car you may have to find somewhere with private parking.

There's a city centre two-car private garage on sale for £150,000 which gives you some idea of how expensive parking is.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,760 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: free parking

Hi, Up until very recently I lived in Marchmont (beside the Meadows/Bruntsfield) and on-street parking there was free in the pay&display zones from 5.30pm friday to 8.30am monday... SO unless things have changed dramatically in the last few months, leaving your car in Marchmont would be a simple option. Be warned though, the streets are sectioned into "permit only" and "pay&display", with ridiculous cut-offs (sometimes a few bays only for pay&display), so make sure you check carefully before you ditch your vehicle!

For example, I lived on Arden St, and there was often free parking going begging on a weekend.

Abs :-)

Edited: 04 April 2011, 20:04
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
261 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: free parking

It's such a pity that you never booked an apartment which included free parking.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,729 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: free parking

I'm not certain, but perhaps someone could confirm whether or not parking at one of Edinburgh's park and rides would be an option. I thought you could park overnight at them with the exception of Ingliston because its near the airport. Would that mean you could also park a few days at the park and rides?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,489 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: free parking

The following are definitely 24 hours

edinburgh.gov.uk/directory_record/12503/sher…

edinburgh.gov.uk/directory_record/12502/newc…

edinburgh.gov.uk/directory_record/12500/herm…

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,360 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: free parking

Unfortunately as someone already mentioned none of the Park and rides are handy for Bruntsfield. The "best" would be Hermiston which would mean a 20 - 30 minute bus ride to the top of Lothian Road at the west end of Princes Street and then another bus (10 mins) to Bruntsfield. Both are good bus services but a bit of a pain just to get to your car.