We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Travel - Edinburgh to Inverness and Inverness to Glasg

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Train Travel - Edinburgh to Inverness and Inverness to Glasg

Hi,

I am planning on travelling from Edinburgh to Inverness on Saturday July 2nd (hoping to arrive in the early afternoon) and from Inverness to Glasgow the following day (hoping to arrive in the evening). I was just wondering what is the cheapest way of doing this by train? Thanks!

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,397 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Travel - Edinburgh to Inverness and Inverness to Glasg

I usually use East coast trains website to buy my tickets. I think the tickets have to be sent to a UK address(possibly a B&B or hotel). They release tickets about 3 months in advance of the date of travel so book asap to get the best price.

Having said that 2nd July is the beginning of the traditional "Edinburgh Trades" fortnight holiday and the schools holidays too so things will book up especially quickly and there may not be many good deals to be had.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,807 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Travel - Edinburgh to Inverness and Inverness to Glasg

First Scotrail website will sell you advance fares from 12 weeks before travel. Cheapest one way in only £10.30 but they are not available for a week or two yet.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,283 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Travel - Edinburgh to Inverness and Inverness to Glasg

eastcoast.co.uk are advertising up to the 3rd July, however they are currently only showing £42.60 for Edinburgh to Inverness which is the price you'd pay if you bought a few minutes before travel. Similar for Inverness to Glasgow. So I'd start checking each day from now until the low prices do appear

On those routes though I'd check Megabus prices as they can be as low as £1 and the travel times aren't significantly worse than the train

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Travel - Edinburgh to Inverness and Inverness to Glasg

Thanks so much for your help!

The only fares I can find on Scotrail and eastcoast.co.uk are for 42.60 as was mentioned. Can it be expected that these fares will go down as this seems much higher than the approximatley 10.20 you can get on these routes at other times of the year. I also checked megabus and it looks like they don't release schedule/far info for routes until 4-6 weeks prior. Thanks again for everyone's help!

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,268 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Travel - Edinburgh to Inverness and Inverness to Glasg

If cheapness is your most important criteria then Megabus would be your best option but the train is SO much more comfortable and somehow the view from the train always seems more interesting!

East Coast Trains is the website I use too. The best fares seem to be with two singles rather than a return. Sometimes you can even get cheap first class travel if you are swift!

Good luck

Woody x

Boulder
Level Contributor
169 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train Travel - Edinburgh to Inverness and Inverness to Glasg

Does First ScotRail have seat maps someplace? We've booked two seats Inverness-Edinburgh but there numbers are 35F (aisle) and 36F (window). Just want to see if they are together.

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,268 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train Travel - Edinburgh to Inverness and Inverness to Glasg

I THINK that's next to each other at a table(for 4) seat but not 100% sure. I don't think they have such sophisticated things as seat plans. If you booked it together I would have thought you would be seated together whether its opposite each other at a table or together at a table or in two airline seats together (which are my preference) which is just two side by side seats and not sharing leg room with anyone.

W x

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train Travel - Edinburgh to Inverness and Inverness to Glasg

I got mine on the 11th july to edinburgh it cost £10.00 each way for the 13th july. On east coast

9. Re: Train Travel - Edinburgh to Inverness and Inverness to Glasg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 05:17