We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seating preferences in Trains

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
singapore
Level Contributor
125 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Seating preferences in Trains

Hi all,

My husband and I am planning to book the train by eastcoast from Edinburgh to London. However, when I reach the page for seating options, i could not seem to book seats where we are seated together. Seats are always : (11A and 12A) or (51A, 52A) etc. Is this the case, or are there any ways to ensure we get two seats together?

thanks in advance.

ckoyen~

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seating preferences in Trains

I think those seats ARE together.

Seats on trains here don't have row numbers and letters like airines. All that matters is the number. The "A" used to indicate that it was an "airline-type" seat - ie, just a seat with a drop-down tray, not a table - but I think they are just labelled "A" nowadays.

In Standard class, the carriage will be configured as 2+2 (two seats, then the aisle, then 2 seats the other side). The numbers in the first row will be 1, 2 (aisle) 3, 4. So, a pair of seats with adjacent numbers, with the lower number as an odd number, will be next to each other.

What you don't know is which direction they are facing.

Edited: 09 April 2011, 11:10
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seating preferences in Trains

Can I just give a word of advice after having made two recent return jouneys from Edinburgh to London. Whatever you do don't book a table seat for such a long journey. It might seem like a good idea at the time but becomes a nightmare after a very short while into the journey. Even with fairly short legs the entire journey for me consisted of a game of footsie with the people opposite trying to get comfortable and the only way to stretch your legs was to get up and walk about. I won't even go into the nightmare scenario of having one or two restless children facing you across the table but if you really do want black and blue shins then go for it I say! With the airline-type seats you can stretch your legs underneath the seat in front.

Edited: 09 April 2011, 12:04
singapore
Level Contributor
125 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seating preferences in Trains

ok! thanks for the advice! :) at least i can now book the tickets with ease! and i was initially thinking whether to have the table or not...but now..i guess not! thanks so much!

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
3,835 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seating preferences in Trains

I don't know what the price differential would be, but 1st class gives much better leg room and comfort. You can make major savings through advance booking.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,685 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seating preferences in Trains

I think table seats can be OK (I travelled from London to Manchester using one only this morning), but it depends who is opposite you. If they are wriggly children, then you do get kicked sometimes. And then there's the people who think that the place to put their luggage is under the table - don't get me going on that subject ;-)

6. Re: Seating preferences in Trains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 02:19