We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help arranging my itinerary in Edinburgh

Toronto, Canada
8 posts
Save Topic
Need help arranging my itinerary in Edinburgh

Oct. of this year we will be celebrating my husband's 50th and

are planning a trip to Edinburgh. We would like to make the best of it and see as much of the sites by car within 8 days.

Would it be a good idea to have a home base? I would love to hear some recommendations and suggestions to make this a memorable experience. I know that my husband would want to golf at St. Andrews.

Cheers,

Best Seller
Loch Ness, Glencoe and the Highlands...
1,903 reviews
from US$63.50*
Likely To Sell Out
3-Day Isle of Skye and Scottish...
469 reviews
from US$322.90*
3-Day Isle of Skye and Highlands Tour...
88 reviews
from US$317.30*
3-Day Isle of Skye and Scottish...
168 reviews
from US$576.70*
Russell, Kansas
Level Contributor
586 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help arranging my itinerary in Edinburgh

Hmm, you may need to clarify. Are you spending 8 days in Scotland with a car or just in Edinburgh? You don't need or want a car in the city of Edinburgh, but it is great to have one if you are toodling around the countryside.

If you do use Edinburgh as a base city and do day trips from there, you may want to stay on the outskirts where you will have an easier time parking your car at night.

Toronto, Canada
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help arranging my itinerary in Edinburgh

Thank you for your reply. Our vacation will be a total of 8 days.

Good suggestion about staying on the outskirts however, we would like to be in walking distance to the city and rent a car for when we decide to travel around the countryside. If we decide not to rent a car can we get around by buses to smaller towns along the coast?

Cheers,

Sophie

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help arranging my itinerary in Edinburgh

Sophie,

I would suggest spending at least 2 or 3 days/nights in Edinburgh, at the front end of your trip. It gives you a chance to knock the jet lag off, relax a bit and emmerse yourself in some Scottish culture.

Have you been to Scotland before?

Plenty to do in Edinburgh, starting with THe Castle, the Palace, the RM, a walk up Arthur's Seat and a visit to the many fine museums (most of them free admission). Many fantastic restaurants and pubs to enjoy.

Also, no need for a car in Edinburgh. Once done in Edinburgh, head back to the airport and pick up the car and head north.

With the remaining 5 days or so, I'd set up a wee loop that roughly speaking takes in the following....

St. Andrews/East Neuk Coast

Stonehaven/Dunnottar Castle (perhaps Glamis Castle on the way)

Aberdeen/Aberdeenshire (Banchory/Ballater)

- many castles here (Balmoral, Crathes, Drum, Craigievar, Frasier)

- also the Royal Lochnager Disllery

- some nice little hikes/walks in this area

Pitchlochry/Dunkeld and down the A9 back to Edinburgh

- Blair Castle, Scone, Falkland, Lochleven Caslte

- Stirling Castle

- Dalwhinnie, Edradour, Glenturret (Famous Grouse) Distilleries

Check a map and figure out where you may want to stay.

Also I think in October a lot of B&B's may be closed and double check the days/hours some attractions are opened.

Bottomline, don't try to plan to see too much.

Kevin

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,303 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help arranging my itinerary in Edinburgh

When you are in Edinburgh,IMO a "must see" is www.royalyachtbritannia.co.uk in Leith.

Russell, Kansas
Level Contributor
586 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help arranging my itinerary in Edinburgh

Keven did a good job of giving you a good way of planning. You can arrive in Edinburgh, take the airlink bus to the city centre and stay a couple of days. Once there, you can walk to places. It's just very difficult to find lodging that has adequate parking that does not cost a lot of money. And the streets, well, they're tight and not marked like we are used to seeing here in North America. And the roadworks! They are all over it seems. The first time I was in Edinburgh, I was with a friend who lives there and he drove. Even driving there every day, he still cussed a lot!

When you are ready to move on from Edinburgh, then go get your car. Easy peasy from there.

Toronto, Canada
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help arranging my itinerary in Edinburgh

Thanks Kevin,

Your reply has been very helpful!

Cheers,

Sophie

Toronto, Canada
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help arranging my itinerary in Edinburgh

Thank you Russell,

I appreciate your feedback. It has been great to get other peoples thoughts and ideas. Another person today mentioned that perhaps we should start our trip from Glasgow, rent a car, head north, stay in B&B's and then make our way south to Edinburgh for the last 3 days of our trip. Like I say it's great to hear peoples suggestions. Much appreciated.

Sophie

Virginia
Level Contributor
917 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help arranging my itinerary in Edinburgh

It looks like you've already had lots of good advice. If your husband is interested in playing golf in St. Andrews, you should look at:

http://www.standrews.org.uk/home.aspx

You'll find information on playing golf on each of the courses there. If he's the only player in your group, the best chance for him to play the Old Course will be for him to check in at the starter early in the morning. From everything I've read, he'll have an excellent chance of finding a game. And if he doesn't, he can almost certainly play the New Course, which is right next to the Old, and only 110+ years old.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,369 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help arranging my itinerary in Edinburgh

"And if he doesn't, he can almost certainly play the New Course, which is right next to the Old, and only 110+ years old."

The "New Castle" after which Newcastle is named was built over 900 years ago. Fortunately they didn't build another one otherwise it would now be Newercastle

Toronto, Canada
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Need help arranging my itinerary in Edinburgh

Thanks Dave. My husband's family are originally from Edinburgh and the last time he was there was when he was about 6 years old. His big "50" is coming up this year and I would like to take him there. He would love to golf at St. Andrews and the other day he mentioned how it would be great to play the old course, even if he has to go out on his own he will, since he is the only golfer in the group. I will have him read your posting.

Thanks again

sophie