We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recent trip report

aberdeen scotland
Level Contributor
405 posts
152 reviews
Save Topic
Recent trip report

Just returned from a great 3 night break with our 2 sons aged 11 & 16. We stayed in a 2bed apartment in Rothesay Place, called Chester Residence. Great location just 5mins walk from Princes St. The apartments are so plush, our boys were well impressed!

DAY1

We arrived by train in the afternoon, once we had settled in, we headed off to the Edinburgh Dungeons. I had booked it online before we came as its cheaper. Just my hubby and boys doing this attraction as I'm a bit of a feartie! They thought it was fun and a bit scary, my husband was chosen to do a couple of tasks, much to the amusement of our sons!

Next we climbed the Scott Monument to see the great views over the city, lovely on such a clear, sunny day.

Then we went for a lovely Italian meal to Bar Roma.

DAY 2

Walked to the Royal Mile to visit Camera Obscura, a fun and interesting attraction, which we all found very entertaining.

Had lunch at the Filling Station, our boys choice! Food very basic, not much better than having a Mcdonalds, thought the coleslaw tasted like it had been bought from Spar!

Outside we watched a funny Irish guy doing some street entertaining, which our youngest found very amusing.

We then went on to visit Edinburgh Castle, we all enjoyed soaking up our past Scottish history.

Had a drink oustide a pub in Rose St, and took fish & chips back to our apartment and had a nice relaxing evening.

DAY3

Back to the Royal Mile where we had booked a tour at the Real Marys Kings Close. It was excellent, we all loved it. Very interesting to hear the stories on how people lived in the city many years ago. Quite dark and scary too! Aggie our tour guide was good and friendly.

We went on to visit the Museum of Childhood, pretty good and a bonus as its free to get in!

Had a snack at a cafe next door and went on to do a bit of shopping, the boys to various sports shops and Frasers for me.

In the evening we had an excellent scottishy meal in Slainte Mhath with great, friendly service too.

We all had a fab mini break in a fab city, our boys great ages to enjoy the sights. Hope to be back soon to experience some more!

1. Re: Recent trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 05:17