We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental from Edinburgh return at London

Singapore
Level Contributor
494 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental from Edinburgh return at London

I am planning to rent a car from Edinburgh on 7 June and driving it to London, arriving at London on 12 June. I hope we can return the car near the temple, chancery or holborn station.

I would appreciate any advice on:

1. What would be a good car rental agency to rent a car from that has a return point near the temple, chancery or holborn station.

2. Where is Edinburgh can I pick up the car from? We are staying near the Waverly train station.

I appreciate any advice.

Augustine

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,920 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental from Edinburgh return at London

Alamo and Enterprise have an office in Waverley station and Avis and Hertz from memory are quite near by. You will need to see if any of these companies have a presence near Holburn Station. Holburn is on the Piccadilly line though so you could drop the car at LHR and take the underground there.

Probably better asking on the London forum about that area though.

Singapore
Level Contributor
494 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental from Edinburgh return at London

Thanks for your suggestions.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,069 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental from Edinburgh return at London

Car rental www.auto-europe.co.uk

www.theaa.com

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental from Edinburgh return at London

Be aware that if you drive into central London you will have to pay the infamous 'Congestion Charge'. If you don't realise and don't pay on the day you will receive an unpleasant charge on your credit card at a later date!

For more information - www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/congestioncharging/

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,318 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental from Edinburgh return at London

It would make more sense renting from Edinburgh Airport and returning to Heathrow then taking the Piccadilly Line to Holborn. Avoids nasty traffic problems and the Congestion Charge

Singapore
Level Contributor
494 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental from Edinburgh return at London

Thanks for the alert.

Looks like the best option is to return it to Heathrow and catch the Piccadilly to Holborn.

What do you think if I return it to Gatwick airport, would that be a better option considering the traffic around heathrow.

Pardon, my ignorance. I do need your advice.

Thanks

Could you advice where would be a good location that I can return the car to, and then catch a tube to either temple or st pauls station. I want to avoid the London congestion and also the

Singapore
Level Contributor
494 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental from Edinburgh return at London

Thanks. The aa site is really cool.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,318 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental from Edinburgh return at London

If you are heading for St. Pauls then Gatwick might be a better option. Carry on round the M25 past Heathrow and turn down the M23 to Gatwick. A lot less hectic than Heathrow and you can take a First capital Connect train to City Thameslink which is right next to St. Pauls

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,920 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Rental from Edinburgh return at London

Wehre you drop the car off depends on which direction you are approaching london. If you are coming from the west along the M4 then LHR would be the obvious place. From the nothr then Luton airport is just off the M1.

Could it be even easier to drop the car off at he last place you actually need it for touring? You might even be able to save on one day's rental and then take the train to London in the morning

Singapore
Level Contributor
494 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Rental from Edinburgh return at London

Thanks for your advice.

At this moment our last place would be the stonehenge area, and depending on our time we may drive to oxford which may then be our last point.

Any idea if I can drop the car at either of this places