We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edinburgh to St. Andrews by Taxi?

Woodbury, Minnesota
1 post
Edinburgh to St. Andrews by Taxi?

Has anyone ever taken a taxi from Edinburgh to St. Andrews? If you have taken the taxi, how much did it cost (each way)? Which company do you recommend?

The issue is that we get into Edinburgh on Sunday afternoon (13:30) and my husband really wants to get to St. Andrews on a Sunday so he can walk the course. There are four of us sharing the cost so, from what I've read, it might not be too much more expensive than 4 train tickets. Any advice you can give would be much appreciated!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
46,128 posts
81 reviews
1. Re: Edinburgh to St. Andrews by Taxi?

Around 80 to 90 pounds each way. Take the train! The off peak return fare is £15.60 each so £47.40 for four. Against £160 for a cab I will leave you to make the decision.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
502 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Edinburgh to St. Andrews by Taxi?

Not done the trip but a quick google found a price of approx £85 each way

http://www.airporttaxisedinburgh.co.uk/

You might want to consider a company that does a chauffeur service

http://www.edinburghchauffeur.co.uk/

The above is not a recommendation, nor a condemnation, just an example of the type of thing available

Some info about guided walking tours of the Old Course

standrews.org.uk/About-Us/Guided-Walks-on-th…

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
56 posts
60 reviews
3. Re: Edinburgh to St. Andrews by Taxi?

You might be as well hiring a car as its a lovely drive up the coast and you would then have the freedom to explore some of the fishing villages ("East Neuk") on the way back, maybe even get some fish and chips from the famous fish and chip shop in Anstruther. Other options would be to get a train to Leuchars (With First Scotrail) or travel by bus with Stagecoach. If you are coming during spring/summer, it shouldn't be too much of a problem arriving a bit later in the day as it will be light until late in to the evening.

Hope you enjoy your trip!

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
103 posts
365 reviews
4. Re: Edinburgh to St. Andrews by Taxi?

Im just thinking that perhaps a bus might be better than a train as it will go direct to St Andrews - Leuchars is a fair distance. However i would go for the hire car option if you can, public transport is not particularly good on a Sunday.

Falkirk, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
19 reviews
5. Re: Edinburgh to St. Andrews by Taxi?

a taxi to St Andrews from Edinburgh Airport is a lot less than some of the others seem to think , about £65 in the daytime. Airport transfers can be booked online at www.myedinburghairport.co.uk . A taxi is more comfortable than a bus or the train

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,887 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Edinburgh to St. Andrews by Taxi?

A couple of people are talking about Edinburgh Airport to St Andrews, the OP doesn't mention the airport, I was assuming it was the city centre, so RonaldoC is about correct. Perhaps a little more. Personally I'd go by bus or perhaps follow anna_c20's suggestion of hiring a car and coming back along the coast. Certainly around £200 return would be too much for me to pay

7. Re: Edinburgh to St. Andrews by Taxi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 10:20