We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting to murrayfield for a concert

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
353 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
getting to murrayfield for a concert

is there any parking around murrayfield at all? going to see bon jovi in june and would normally take the car but know how bad edinburgh is. Could take the train I guess .......

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: getting to murrayfield for a concert

I don't know about parking as I don't take a vehicle into Edinburgh. Train from Queen Street to Haymarket then a few minutes' walk sounds a good option.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
438 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: getting to murrayfield for a concert

For al big occasions parking is severely restricted around Murrayfiled. If you have a car you can park in the West End and jump on a bus at Shandwick Place. It wouldn't be far to walk back either.

edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: getting to murrayfield for a concert

There is usually plenty of on street parking available up the top of Murrayfield Road / Ravelston Dykes the side roads leading off these streets. Turn up at Murrayfield Hotel on the corner of Murrayfield Road / Corstorphine Road ( opposite the walkway entrance to the stadium). Just make sure you arrive reasonably early.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,360 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: getting to murrayfield for a concert

I would take the train to Haymarket and then catch a bus (12,26 or 31) outside the station and get off opposite the Murrayfieldd Hotel (6 stops). You could also walk from Haymarket in no more than 20 minutes. So really the car is not worth the hassle as you may have a 10 minute walk at least from where you eventually manage to park it.

Edited: 06 May 2011, 21:30
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
502 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: getting to murrayfield for a concert

I always take the car to Murrayfield and park just of off Gorgie Road. May be a ten minute walk but a real bonus at the end of the night.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands
Level Contributor
17,987 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: getting to murrayfield for a concert

I always take the car as well and head in via the Queensferry Road and keep going until the Kwik Fit fork (I don't even know if it's still a Kwik Fit but that's still what I call it :-) ) and then take a right and cut across to Murrayfield and park in the area meks has already mentioned. It's also a great route out after the concert/match as it avoids most of the main traffic.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
438 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: getting to murrayfield for a concert

Parking on Ravelston Dykes/Murrayfield area is restricted when there is an event on at Murrayfield. Nearest parking would be Dean Village area. There are no parking cones along Ravelston Dykes.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands
Level Contributor
17,987 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: getting to murrayfield for a concert

I can't remember the name of the street we park on but it is higher up the hill behind the Murrayfield Hotel if you know what I mean.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,538 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: getting to murrayfield for a concert

"I can't remember the name of the street we park on but it is higher up the hill behind the Murrayfield Hotel if you know what I mean."

That's likely to be Murrayfield Drive or Campbell Avenue. However to go back to the original question, I suppose it depends on where you are coming from in Glasgow, if you can come by train then do so.

During the time of the concert Campbell Avenue will be closed for pavement resurfacing and will increase the load or surrounding streets. However the big problem is that from this Monday until 31st July Dean Bridge will closed to northbound traffic. This is the major arterial road from the city centre north towards the Forth Road Bridge and traffic congestion will be very high The diversion will be Drumsheugh Gardens, Palmerston Place, Belford Road..

A lot of the traffic will turn onto Ravelston Dykes to try to escape the jams and I wouldn’t be surprised if further parking restrictions were imposed on Ravelston Dykes and the surrounding streets. It’s unlikely that you will be able to park a car any closer to Murrayfield than you would have to walk from Haymarket Station. I suppose it depends on how easy it is to access a train in Glasgow.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
438 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: getting to murrayfield for a concert

Parking on Bell's Brae will be no problem and then its a 15 minute walk along the Water of Leith to Murrayfield.