We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bus service

stroud
Level Contributor
655 posts
Save Topic
bus service

Iam spending 4 days in Edinburgh staying in drem a good rail service,is there also a bus service i cannot acsses any details of timetable. I would also like details of travelling around the city can i purchase a daily ticket that allows me to travel on bus and train and i realise the city will have different travel zones any details would be of help.Ifly to Edinburgh 9 june can i purchase such a ticket at the airport. Thank you Toby

Edited: 30 May 2011, 08:35
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: bus service

http://www.travelinescotland.com/welcome.do will let you access timetables

stroud
Level Contributor
655 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: bus service

Dzug.

Thank you the service i believe shown only goes from ballancreiff a good way outside of Edinburgh is there a service from edinburgh to drem direct. thank you Toby

Edited: 30 May 2011, 09:25
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: bus service

Not that I can see alas. The only service at Drem itself is a twice a day school service - which does connect into the North Berwick Edinburgh bus, but that's it.

If you particularly want to use the bus train to North Berwick is the most frequent way of picking it up

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,382 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bus service

For travelling around the city you can purchase a day ticket for 3.20 which is valid on all Lothian buses (the main bus company) . you just buy this on the first bus you get on to. Bus is the main way of getting around the city. http://lothianbuses.com/fares-a-tickets.html

The bus from the airport is £3.50 one way or £6 return. http://www.flybybus.com/

The train is the best way in from Drem, it arrives at the main rail station in the city centre, then you can pick up any bus from there.

stroud
Level Contributor
655 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: bus service

Thanks to you all for the information it is a help and i look forward to visit your very great city.

Toby

Edited: 30 May 2011, 11:16
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,777 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bus service

Just to add. You will need exact coinage for the Lothian buses (no change given). But the Airlink will give change. Abs

stroud
Level Contributor
655 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: bus service

Abs

Thanks i learnt that lesson many years ago when i returned to Glasgow no change then hmm.

Toby

Edited: 30 May 2011, 13:57
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
490 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: bus service

There is no bus service from Drem. Drem is a tiny hamlet. The train is your only option but, as you have already found out, it is a good service and is quicker into the city than the bus. Ofcourse, you can also take the train in the other direction to North Berwick, which I would recommend you do at least once.

stroud
Level Contributor
655 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: bus service

To all

Thank you all for the input edinburgh has many memories for me and am exicted i am meeting an old school friend who i last saw 40 years ago [nervous] Thanks.

Toby.

Edited: 30 May 2011, 17:12
Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: bus service

You can get a ticket that allows travel on the train and bus services with the one ticket (www.one-ticket.co.uk/rail/maps.html) but you can only get a weekly ticket at £52 from Drem. It's really designed for commuters traveling on the peak trains.