We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rail from Edinburgh airport to Falkirk...

Suisun City...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
rail from Edinburgh airport to Falkirk...

We will be flying into Edinburgh Airport, arriving about 4:30 p.m. I would like to know the name of the nearest rail station to get to either Falkirk High Station or Falkirk Grahmson(?) Station. Can anyone help me out here. Thanks and cheers. Bulldog

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Falkirk
Falkirk
Falkirk District, UK
Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rail from Edinburgh airport to Falkirk...

Haymarket.

In greater detail: you will need to get the airport bus into the city, fare £3.50 single, departures every ten minutes or less from right in front of the terminal. This bus stops at a limited number of places, which are announced in advance. Alight at Haymarket and cross the road - the station entrance is directly opposite the bus stop. This will take 20-25 minutes.

Trains to Glasgow Queen Street depart Edinburgh Waverley roughly every 15 minutes and all stop at Haymarket. Most if not all of them stop at one or other of the Falkirk stations, but most stop at exactly one of the two. If you have a preference, you may need to wait for a later train.

Mentioned in this post
Haymarket
Haymarket
532 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Falkirk
Falkirk
Falkirk District, UK
Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
15,147 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rail from Edinburgh airport to Falkirk...

The Airlink bus runs from the airport to Haymarket and Waverley stations, Haymarket first.

From Waverley and Haymarkey trains run:

- to Dunblane via Falkirk Grahamston, every 30 mins (also services to Perth and Inverness via Stirling, also service to Alloa via Stirling)

- to Glasgow Queen st via Falkirk High, every 15 mins

If buying your ticket from the ticket vending machine, the destination appears as FALKIRK BR - this means Falkirk British Rail (for some reason) and the same ticket is valid for Edinburgh to either Fk G'h'ston or Fk High.

Keep your ticket when leaving the train - there are part-time manual ticket checks at Falkirk High station.

Mentioned in this post
Haymarket
Haymarket
532 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Falkirk
Falkirk
Falkirk District, UK
Perth
Perth
Perth and Kinross, UK
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rail from Edinburgh airport to Falkirk...

Thanks for the correction Bob - not a trip I've done in a while and, as you can see, I thought the Grahamston departures continued on to Glasgow QS.

Glad to know that memory of British Rail is alive and well somewhere in the system >.>

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
15,147 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rail from Edinburgh airport to Falkirk...

Many people think it means Falkirk Bridge and get confused because that's not where they want to go.

Mentioned in this post
Falkirk
Falkirk
Falkirk District, UK
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
490 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rail from Edinburgh airport to Falkirk...

Do any of the trains that stop at Edinburgh Park go to Falkirk? If so, that's much closer to the airport than Haymarket.

Just wondering...I don't have the detailed knowledge that you guys have. ;-)

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Falkirk
Falkirk
Falkirk District, UK
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,513 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: rail from Edinburgh airport to Falkirk...

Some go direct from Edinburgh Park to Falkirk Grahamston - but there isn't any easy way except a taxi to get to Edinburgh Park as the 35 bus doesn't go past Edinburgh Park

Edited: 06 June 2011, 10:12
Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Falkirk
Falkirk
Falkirk District, UK
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
43,994 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rail from Edinburgh airport to Falkirk...

The trains to Stirling stop at Grahamston and Camelon. I have taken the 35 bus and walked to Edinburgh Park but it's a bit of a trek if you have luggage. Ok witha backpack or something. Would not do it again I don't think.

To the OP. With train and bus costs for at least two of you have a look at taking a taxi from the airport. To Falkirk should not be much more than £30 to £35 and will get you there in about 30 mins

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Falkirk
Falkirk
Falkirk District, UK
Suisun City...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: rail from Edinburgh airport to Falkirk...

Hello to all of you and thanks for all of the great feedback. As we will be under a bit of a time constraint, it looks as though maybe RonaldoC wins the top prize this time with his "just take a taxi" entry. Cheers. Bulldog

Falkirk, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: rail from Edinburgh airport to Falkirk...

I would agree about taking a taxi from the airport. However if you take taxi from the taxi rank at the airport it will cost over £50. Those taxis have quite a high tariff . You can prebook a taxi for about £30 to Falkirk if you contact one of the taxi firms which serve the airport. One taxi company is at www.myedinburghairport.co.uk.

Mentioned in this post
Falkirk
Falkirk
Falkirk District, UK
Suisun City...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: rail from Edinburgh airport to Falkirk...

Thanks photogold. And thanks to you all. Bulldog