We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good simple food places that also include Scottish Food

UK
Level Contributor
88 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Good simple food places that also include Scottish Food

Hi,

We are staying at the Hilton Caledonian for 2 nights this weekend with our parents and would like to take them to a pub/restaurant which serves simple food, i.e Fish and Chips, Chicken and Chips as my mum only likes very simple food but will also serve things like Haggis, Mussels etc which my father would like.

Is there anywhere nearby within 10-15 min walking distance that we could eat in that won't be too noisy with live music on at the weekend and is within the budget of up to £15- £20.00 for a main meal/starter. I have looked at a lot of menus from several places but a lot of the main dishes haven't been simple, i.e chicken surpreme etc or chicken stuffed with haggis etc.

Thanks in advance.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,397 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good simple food places that also include Scottish Food

You could try googling Bert's Bar in William Street and see if their menu would suit. I know they do(did?) a lovely haggis neeps and tatties dish and they have lots of less adventurous stuff too. They would easily meet your budget and are within 15 mins walk of your hotel. They quite often show football or rugby matches on the telly so may fail on the noise level issue.

If you also google William Street restaurants or Edinburgh West End restaurants that should bring up other options within a short walking distance.

UK
Level Contributor
88 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good simple food places that also include Scottish Food

Berts sounds great. Menu is just what I wanted. Thanks, one night sorted at least!

Thanks again

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,796 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good simple food places that also include Scottish Food

Ooh Berts looks nice!

The Abbotsford pub might also suit and has a friendly ambience:

http://www.theabbotsford.com/above.htm

Good scottish food with a whisky theme and usually less noisy than a pub is Amber Restaurant at the rear of the Scotch Whisky Experience (or whatever its called these days) at the top of the Royal Mile. The prices are pretty good for lunch too:

amber-restaurant.co.uk/amber_food_and_drink.…

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,843 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Good simple food places that also include Scottish Food

I like Berts Bar, Last ate there about 6 weeks ago)they have a new Chef there and the menu changed quite a bit a while back,the make real chips,and their fish and chips are the second best of the Pub fish and chips I have tried in Edinburgh (no1 is the Worlds End bar)

I can also second the places that Purple Celtic has mentioned.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,993 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good simple food places that also include Scottish Food

If you walk to Haymarket station and along Dalry Road a bit you will come to Sizzling Scot

/www.sizzlingscot.co.uk/

Haggis, mussels, salmon, steaks, burgers, sausages, grill, cod & chips. Haggis main is £10, steaks £15-24, F&C £9 on the evening menu.

Chicken stuffed with haggis is a rather popular menu item, unfortunately.

6. Re: Good simple food places that also include Scottish Food

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 16:19