We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Park and rides in and out of Edinburgh?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Park and rides in and out of Edinburgh?

We will be staying at Borthwick Castle south of Edinburgh off the A7 in mid August for a few nights. We will be going into the city for a day of being the tourist, but I am loathe to try to navigate in and out of the city. My husband insists he is a great driver in the UK since he is left handed (really? I'm supposed to go with that?!) He is a good driver, but not so much in city traffic. I'd like to suggest perhaps a park and ride to bus or train in. I would love some help to do this. And perhaps save my marriage and nerves in the process.

Also, any tips on the best route and about how long to drive to Inverness would be appreciated. My thoughts are to go via Stirling, lunch in Fort William, then Loch Ness for the 7 yr old to Inverness; return trip via A9 with an overnight in Pitlochry. Thanks in advance!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,390 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Park and rides in and out of Edinburgh?

edinburgh.gov.uk/directory/2/park_and_rides

Suggest the Sherriffhall one

edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,421 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Park and rides in and out of Edinburgh?

Going via Stirling, Fort William and spening time on Loch Ness will take you most of the day so I would think that driving south to Pitlochry for an overnight stay is pushing it a bit especially when you are not used to driving in the UK. Think about an overnight near Urquhart Castle or in the Inverness / Aviemore area.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Park and rides in and out of Edinburgh?

Oops- forgot to mention we are overnighting in Inverness as well! Just wondering whether to go via Stirling or Glasgow. Or if there was some "must see" area to stop at on our way to Inverness.

edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,421 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Park and rides in and out of Edinburgh?

You can go via Linlithgow, (Linlithgow Palace) then onto Stirling, Glencoe. Fort William. Urquhart Castle and Inverness.

IF you wish to include Loch Lomond then you could go via Glasgow, (miss out Linlithgow and Stirling on the way up to Inverness) but when you leave Pitlochry after your second night, travel via Aberfeldy, Loch Tay, Callander, Stirling and Linlithgow back to Edinburgh.

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,932 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Park and rides in and out of Edinburgh?

Firstly you will love Borthwick Castle. A real one and not one of these pretend castles. I dine there a few times a year in the great hall.

There is a Park & Ride just beyond the Sherrifhall Roundabout on the Edinburgh side. When you get to the roundabout just keep to the A7 signs which is also signed for the hospital A&E and the P&R is just a few hundred yards further on. Visitor from North America find driving in the Scottish Highlands a strain. 60mph roads about a quarter of the width of what you are used to. I think your trip to Inverness is to ambitious and a better alternative would be to train it around thus not thinking of divorce before you leave Scotland.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Park and rides in and out of Edinburgh?

Thanks all! This is great advice. The Sheriffhall P&R is perfect, and I think I've got some good ideas on routes to Inverness. We are very much looking forward to visiting your country, and the Celebration of the Centuries - which is why we are hiring a car rather than training. We have some time for traveling about, so we can stop where and if we need.

Besides, we are staying in Paris for a few nights on the way home if we do fight about driving ;-)

thank you so very much!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Park and rides in and out of Edinburgh?

If you are thinking of going via Glasgow/ Loch Lomond please be aware that the section of road between Tarbet and ardlui on Loch Lomonside is one of the most nerve wracking in Scotland. Very scenic route though.

8. Re: Park and rides in and out of Edinburgh?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 14:16