We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Around Edinburgh?

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
36 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Around Edinburgh?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186425-i307-k4604…

HI guys - I posted my question above under the Wales category, and I think we're rather going to go to Edinburgh and spend more time in Scotland, instead of splitting our time in half and visiting both Wales and Scotland.

My next question then: can anyone recommend special sites, towns, villages, scenery, anything interesting (it's our honeymoon ...) around Edinburgh? We'll have 5 days in Scotland, and I'd like to spend 3 nights in Edinburgh, but that leaves me with 2 nights to sleep over/explore elsewhere.

Any suggestions?

Mentioned in this post
Wales
Wales
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Loch Ness, Highlands, Glencoe...
2,032 Reviews
from US$66.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Isle of Skye and Scottish Highlands...
506 Reviews
from US$350.40*
Highlands' Isle of Skye, Hogwarts...
170 Reviews
from US$589.80*
Special Offer
3-Day Isle of Skye and Highlands Tour...
108 Reviews
from US$292.00*
US$324.50
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,983 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Around Edinburgh?

East Neuk is probably what you want - the area is very pleasant especially if you are a golf fan and you can get to St Andrews easily. I'd recommend a car though for getting around

Mentioned in this post
St Andrews
St Andrews
Fife, UK
Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,752 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Around Edinburgh?

I think Alanrow’s suggestion is pretty good. I’m going to add to it.

Assuming you will have a car, will you? You didn’t say.

Then go to South Queensferry and take a cruise on http://www.forthtours.com/

Visit Inchcolm Island, you have to pay an additional fee to land there as it is owned by Historic Scotland. If you take an early cruise you can take return at 1.5 hour intervals – check the timetable.

Ideally you want to go under both Bridges so again check the routings. Inchcolm Island is a very nice place to visit if the weather is good. *Take a picnic*

Is Deep Sea World your kind of thing? I like it but think it is expensive.

Continue on to the villages of the East Neuk, follow the coastal trail. I’m a bit embarrassed to admit that the first time I was in Pettycur was last week. It has a very pleasant beach and small harbour. No facilities for catering so you need a picnic. I like picnics.

Move on northwards to Elie, Pittenweem, Crail Anstruther (pronounced Ain–ster) . My particular favourite is Crail. Take your time explore the streets, this is a place to walk about and investigate. Anstruther sells the best fish and chips in Scotland. http://www.anstrutherfishbar.co.uk/

What level of accommodation / and food do you want? Fife can supply everything from 4* downwards.

Mentioned in this post
South Queensferry
South Queensferry
Edinburgh, UK
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Deep Sea World
Deep Sea World
1,468 Reviews
North Queensferry, UK
Fife
Fife
Scotland, UK
Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Around Edinburgh?

To complement AlanB's remarks, and to continue the (very reasonable) fixation with Fife as a destination ..

Pettycur is indeed nice (plus or minus the caravan park!) but it's not on the East Neuk (I'm sure Alan knows this!)

My own very firm recommendation for fish in Anstruther would be the Dreel Inn. I would go there in preference to the fish bar even if there were no queue, even in the most unlikely event that there was a queue at the Dreel Inn.

To return to the original question, there are lovely spots to visit in every direction from Edinburgh. Let us know about any particular interests and I'm sure we can suggest places beyond Fife (terrific as that area is!)

Mentioned in this post
Fife
Fife
Scotland, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
42,658 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Around Edinburgh?

Stirling, Calander, The Trossachs National Park. If it's your honeymoon then why not splash out the Rand for a room at the Cameron House hotel right on the banks of Loch Lomond.

Perthshire is also really lovely. What about afternoon tea in the world famous Gleneagles Hotel if you can't afford the £££'s to stay there.

Not amention of the Kingdom of Fife there LOL.

Mentioned in this post
Gleneagles
Gleneagles
3,793 Reviews
Auchterarder, UK
Fife
Fife
Scotland, UK
Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Around Edinburgh?

Looks like I'm eating my own words today .. Mrs J looked over my shoulder and said, "Hey, that's a good idea - let's go to Fife for the day and eat at the Dreel Inn". I can understand an order when it is issued!

Cameron House is a good suggestion - although the modern parts of the hotel are just a shade "corporate", it's in a terrific location. And if we are talking Gleneagles and honeymoon, maybe Andrew Fairlie for dinner? Mrs J and I are still looking for a suitably grand excuse to eat there. OP - you did say your fiance owns several gold mines, didn't you?

Mentioned in this post
Fife
Fife
Scotland, UK
Gleneagles
Gleneagles
3,793 Reviews
Auchterarder, UK
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
42,658 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Around Edinburgh?

I think afternoon tea is around £40 per person. Not done it myself but my sister and Mum went. Very posh they sai they even cut the crust off the French baguettes ;-)

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,752 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Around Edinburgh?

John987654321 - yes, the caravan park is a bit of a blot on the landscape, you just have to keep your eyes down on the beach and the harbour area.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
36 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Around Edinburgh?

Wow, what amazing advice. Thanks everyone.

I've heard the Trossachs mentioned a few times, and went on the website. Looks fantastic. I'm going to check out all your suggestions.

PS My fiance unfortunately doesn't own a gold mine or two ... but he's a musician so maybe we'll bring the guitar and busk our way into Fife! :-)

We're planning to leave our car in York and take the train to Edinburgh, but I'm considering more and more to hire a car for the out-of-Edinburgh-trip so that our options are open.

Thanks again. When all is finalised I'll post the itinerary for last-minute comments.

Mentioned in this post
Fife
Fife
Scotland, UK
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Around Edinburgh?

What time of year is this?

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
148 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Around Edinburgh?

My friend lives in Kinghorn and we sometimes walk up around the caravan park - good exercise and as its up such an incline and great views across the water on a sunny day