We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware Parking in Edinburgh

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Beware Parking in Edinburgh

We recently visited relatives in Edinburgh for 2 days and used 4 parking ‘scratchie’ style tickets. We ended up with 2 unfair parking tickets in that brief period. The first because my husband had failed to remove the previous ticket from the car, the second because he had accidentally put a small mark on the ‘1pm’ and then then completely scratched the 10am. The parking inspector found this ‘confusing’, even though it was 10.30 and had not yet reached 1pm.

This coloured our stay in Scotland, we couldn’t get out of the country fast enough and won’t spend another pound in this petty city.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
221 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Beware Parking in Edinburgh

So you judge my entire city as "petty" and write off an entire country because of one over-zealous official doing his job?

So DDootsie you were there when the ticket was issued by a man? and he was over zealous why? Because he was doing his job as instructed by his management,would you call a barman over zealous for serving you drinks promptly and efficiently? thought not.......!

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
490 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Beware Parking in Edinburgh

It's a shame the OP was ticketed for what he or she sees as unfair reasons. It's even more of a share that he or she has allowed something that arose through his or her own actions or inactions to colour the perception of Sotland generally and Edinburgh in particular.

The fact is that locals on this forum advice visitors constantly about the tribulations of parking in Edinburgh. Simply, don't do it.

Crathie
Level Contributor
795 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Beware Parking in Edinburgh

I visited Sydney in 2004 and received less than stellar service from staff in a couple of establishments and had a bus driver mock my accent because I did not pronounce "Goulburn Street" to his satisfaction. However I do not tar all Sydneysiders with the same brush because of a few incidents which could happen in any city in any country of the world.

I have lost count of the number of threads/comments on TA where parking in Edinburgh is concerned. Caveat Emptor I think.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,821 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Beware Parking in Edinburgh

sownack, you could 'mispronounce' any word in the dictionary with a Scottish accent and I'd happily listen to you all day :-) The Scottish accent is like music to my ears :-) **

(I've only had trouble understanding one person in all my time in Scotland - a waitress in a Glasgow pub; for the life of me, she had to ask me what I wanted 3 or 4 times and even then my friends had to explain to me what she was saying. I hadn't even had a drink yet, so I can't blame alcohol lol)

Crathie
Level Contributor
795 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Beware Parking in Edinburgh

Thanks MarmaladeT :-) I enjoyed Sydney very much. It is a thriving city. I'd like to go back one day, but fear lack of finances will prevent that. I have fond memories of the beach at Manly, the QVB, The Rocks, Mrs MacQuarrie's Chair, The Opera House and Harbour Bridge and the street where a scene from The Matrix was filmed.

16. Re: Beware Parking in Edinburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 17:18