We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train vs plane

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
8 posts
Save Topic
train vs plane

We are coming at the end of August. We are staying very near the Royal Mile. We are coming from the Cambridge area, and I am trying to decide between taking the train or plane. Is the train station closer to the Royal Mile area? The train would cost a bit more (we are a family of 4), but I was thinking the travel expense of getting from the airport to where we are staying might be more significant than the extra expense of the train. Just looking for any advice, if you can help and if my question makes sense. And thank you anyone for any help you can provide!! Cheers :)

London
Level Contributor
9,177 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train vs plane

The price of either rail rickets or air tickets can vary by huge margins - depending on when you book. It costs a lot more if you book at last minute rather than in advance, and if you know the date/time that you intend to travel it is much more cost effective to buy your ticket ahead of time.

If you mean travel in August 2011 - and you haven't already booked - I suggest you buy your tickets now. The cheapest fares will be already sold out, but if you wait longer the available fares will only be higher.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: train vs plane

If there is a child (15 or under) in your family a Family and Friends railcard would help reduce the cost of the rai journey

edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train vs plane

Edinburgh Waverley Railway Station is very close to the Royal Mile and within walking distance of the main High Street section of the Royal Mile. If you are staying in the section between the Lawnmarket and South Bridge then you would be as quick walking there as during August that area of the street is pedestrianised and no vehicles - including taxis are permitted.

If you are staying in the likes of the Lawnmarket, Castlehill, Johnston Terrace and Canongate then it would be worthwhile taking a taxi fare about £5.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,489 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: train vs plane

From Cambridge the sensible choice is to fly from Stansted with Easyjet. The Airlink coach from Edinburgh airport costs £7 per adult RETURN though if you are staying in the Old Town or on the Royal Mile it may be better to use the 35 bus for £1.30 each way even though it's slower.

If you are considering the train check the Family & Friends Railcard to see if that helps with the costs

UK
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: train vs plane

I want to make these reservations as soon as possible - I have priced both today and would like to book today. But I was just looking for advice on which might be the smarter option.

UK
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: train vs plane

That sounds reasonable. I have a decent price quote from easy jet at the moment so I would like to proceed as soon as posssible. How do I find out more information on these different buses? Are child fares less? And about how far is the airport from the Royal Mile? Thank you so much for your helpful information!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,489 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: train vs plane

http://www.edinburghairport.com/

Edited: 28 July 2011, 12:03
Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,248 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: train vs plane

This is the link for the airport bus http://www.flybybus.com/ it is frequent and takes a direct route int othe city centre which takes about 30 minutes. Buses run every 15 minutes. The bus drops you off right outside the train station.

The alternative No. 35 is very slow- taking aorund an hour to get to the centre of town by a roundabout route, frequency depends on the time of day and day of the week- see this link. But it is cheaper. All the Lothian city buses are £1.20 per adult and 70p per child for each journey. http://www.lothianbuses.com/ and search under number 35

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,591 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: train vs plane

Child bus fares are insignificant compared to the hundreds of pounds flights can vary by if you choose the wrong moment to book.

As with most cities, the main railway station is in the centre, a few minutes uphill walk to the Royal Mile, and the airport is on the outskirts about 10 miles from the centre.

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: train vs plane

Central London to central Edinburgh the train is faster than the plane because of the security check in at the airports and it is a really nice train Journey. However today Waverly Station is at a standstill because of a derailed train in Princes Street Gardens. If you arrive by train you are 5 mins walk from the middle of the Royal Mile.