We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is one day enough ?

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Topic
Is one day enough ?

Hi, I'm planning to visit Edinburgh and I'm hesitating if I shall spend in Edinburgh one day or two ... since I want to visit the tourist attractions - like the Castle, Calton Hill, Arthur's seat etc.

so I was planning for one day in the old town, half day in the new town and the other half in St. Andrews... what do you think ?

what is your advice for me ?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,876 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is one day enough ?

St Andrews isn't really a half day trip unless you start early - so I'd head for St Andrews and when you get back see how much time you have for the New Town. A day will give an introduction to the Old Town but depending on time of year you may not have time for Arthur's Seat.

North Berwick...
Destination Expert
for East Lothian
Level Contributor
726 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is one day enough ?

You need a full day in St. Andrews as Alanrow suggested. Whew! in general, you've got a lot on your plate for the amount of time.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is one day enough ?

I'd take a bit more time.

Day one: arrive Edinburgh, activities as time permits.

Day two: St. Andrews, return afternoon/evening, walk around old town (many pubs) or new town (classy restaurants)

Day three: Climb Calton Hill in the AM, visit Castle, climb Arthur's Seat for sunset

Day four: activities as time permits and then leave Edinburgh.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is one day enough ?

half day isn't enough for St Andrews ? I'm having just two days in Edinburgh and then I'm going to Isle of Skye...

what do you recommend for me then ?

one day then is enough for both the old town and the new town ?

(suppose I'm waking up at 6:30 AM) ...

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is one day enough ?

and what about Arthur's seat ... ? what do you think ?

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is one day enough ?

Hi. You can walk from the Canongate/Holyrood area to the top of Arthurs Seat and down again in 1.5-2hrs, if you have a reasonable level of fitness. Views are spectacular, something a little different, for sure :)

Abs

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is one day enough ?

and skip on St. Andrews ?

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is one day enough ?

and I searched for people who traveled there... fined nothing :S

Gotland, Sweden
Level Contributor
204 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is one day enough ?

It totally depends on you. I am not sure you can do both New Town and Old Town in one day. So if you must choose an area in Edinburgh, I would recommend Old Town. As the attractions that you mention are located in that area.

How are you planning to get to St Andrews? If you will do use public transportation, it may take longer time and you are les flexible. So a half day may feel rushed.

If you want to be sure you are able to see everything in Edinburgh then stay 2 days. If you want to visit St Andrews as well, spend one day there and the other day in Edinburgh.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Is one day enough ?

But I don't know if St Andrews is a "must" or not .. what's more "important" Arthur's seat+new town or St Andrews ?

I was planning to get there with the train ...