We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Latest on the trams

Level Contributor
643 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Latest on the trams

Didn't see this posted, apologies if it is.

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fi…

Not much use to tourists heading to the City Centre, hopefully the buses will still be able to transport them.

SANDEMANs NEW Europe
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours
Rabbie's
Cultural Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Multi-day Tours, Sightseeing Tours
The Hairy Coo - Free Scottish Highlands Tour
Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Bus Tours, Sightseeing Tours
James Christie Photography - Edinburgh Photography Tours Limited
Photography Tours, Private Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,053 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Latest on the trams

Wouldn't it have been cheaper just to have a fleet of limousines for each and every person who wanted to travel from the airport to the centre?

I can't imagine what a billion pounds looks like, but I feel sure I could have made more of an improvement on the happiness of Edinburgh residents and visitors if someone had given me that amount to spend...

What about a fleet pf golf buggies to get people to the nearest rail station? (I'm told 2 lines pass within a few hundred yards...?)

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,604 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Latest on the trams

I've some rope

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
41,039 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Latest on the trams

People should be demonstating outside the city chambers about this. I'm angry and I'm not even a local taxpayer.

We kinda have a similar situation here in amsterdam with a metro line that is costing now 3 billion euros, more than twice the original estimate so I feel your pain.

Seems to me that it would have been easier to build some sort of short rapid transit line to connect with a new train station near the airport than faf about with all this. It smacks of people having grand ambitions without the means or ability to carry it out.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
227 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Latest on the trams

Edinburgh. A laughing stock an award winning bus service yet we waste money on a service no local eants

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
227 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Latest on the trams

Forget Edinburgh's disgrace on Calton Hill we have an other one between haymarket and airport!!!!!?

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Latest on the trams

Begs the question - will they now close Princes St for months to rip up the lines? I remember years ago they quoted that the roads and bus system would be saturated and unworkable by 2016, and that trams were the only option. Let's hope that's not the case!

Abs :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Latest on the trams

Another 8 of those and you could have hosted the Olympics.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
227 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Latest on the trams

Health and safety say tramlines got to be removed. You could not make this farce up

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,728 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Latest on the trams

RonaldoC - "..it would have been easier to build some sort of short rapid transit line to connect with a new train station near the airport .."

Good idea RonaldoC but we've been there and had it rejected. http://www.earlproject.com/

It would save the ridiculous problem of getting a bus into central Edinburgh to get a train to Glasgow or people from Aberdeen going past the airport and getting bus back out again from Haymarket

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,538 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Latest on the trams

it is just so fustrating for the people of Edinnburgh.when trams were first suggested I was all for it,there would have been 3 lines one which would pass within a few hundred yars of where i live (south east Ediniburgh) and would have got me to work (Little france Hospital complex) within 5 minutes,that would have been superb,but with the rejection of congestion charging that line was thrown out and the other line to the west of the city too due to budget contraints,now we are left with an almost usless part of a line that will serve only a fraction of the population and a limited amount of tourists for almost double the original cost.

As other have said the bus service in Edinburgh is second to none in the UK and better than most throughout the world,even the wonderful airport service is only a 25 minute journey and pretty cheap at £3.50 (free to us will Ridacards)on some of the nicest buses you will find anywhere,this bus service has served toursits and local alike for more years than I care to remember.

The silly Burghers of Edinbirgh should be ashamed of themselves for their total miss-management of this project from strat to finish.(well its not finished )

Edited: 26 August 2011, 06:58