We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Parking Option for Stay From Sunday Night to Tuesday

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
196 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Best Parking Option for Stay From Sunday Night to Tuesday

I rented an apartment on the Royal Mile (at the intersection with Cranston Street). Will be coming in early Sunday evening and departing Tuesday morning for a short stay. The apartment does not have parking available and we will have two cars.. I don't anticipate that we'll need to use our cars during our brief stay. What is my best option to be cheap and possibly somewhat close? (Although, cheap is probably better unless it's all roughly equal in price.) I thought I read that the park and ride options are not eligible for overnight stays, is that accurate? We will be driving in from the north (Aberdeen).

Or, since parking is free on Sundays, am I better finding a street spot when we arrive and then paying the meters on Monday? Is overnight Monday on the street free?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
The Royal Mile Tavern
The Royal Mile Tavern
1,051 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Loch Ness, Highlands, Glencoe...
2,036 Reviews
from US$65.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Isle of Skye and Scottish Highlands...
506 Reviews
from US$346.40*
Highlands' Isle of Skye, Hogwarts...
170 Reviews
from US$583.00*
Special Offer
3-Day Isle of Skye and Highlands Tour...
108 Reviews
from US$288.60*
US$320.70
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,809 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Parking Option for Stay From Sunday Night to Tuesday

Hi.

The park n rides do not permit overnight parking, with the exception of the Ferrytoll Carpark, which is near North Queensferry to the North of Edinburgh, and may actually be fairly convenient for you if you are driving from Aberdeen. That is certainly one option.

Onstreet parking in the central zones (of which the Royal Mile is slap-bang in the middle!), operates 08.30-6.30 mon- sat. Outwith these hours it is free. So as you say, Sunday is free. And after 6.30 pm Monday is free. However, you will pay A LOT to park on street all day on Monday - upwards of £3 per hour. Most spots restrict parking to 2 or 4 hours max, so you would also need to come back and move your car(s) a couple of times during the day.

There are a few car parks within 20 min walk that would house your car for the day on Monday, there is one on St Leonards, or a multistorey in the Omni Centre at the top of Leith Walk. Also a large one on Castle Terrace.

When do you leave on Tues? You will need to move or pay for your car from 8.30am. You can however park your car on Monday evening and then pay for a ticket which will automatically rollover to Tuesday morning (the one helpful point to parking in Edinburgh!)

The Edi.gov website has all the details and maps. And Parkopedia is a great website also.

Finally, parking attendants in Edinburgh are very good at their job, don't expect to get away with anything!!

Abs :)

Mentioned in this post
Leith
Leith
226 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Castle Terrace Restaurant
Castle Terrace Restaurant
2,331 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
The Royal Mile Tavern
The Royal Mile Tavern
1,051 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Turnhouse Airport
Turnhouse Airport
Edinburgh, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Aberdeen
Aberdeen
Aberdeenshire, UK
2. Re: Best Parking Option for Stay From Sunday Night to Tuesday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 20:21