We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hogmany Taxis / Motorhome parking.

Leeds
Level Contributor
669 posts
357 reviews
Save Topic
Hogmany Taxis / Motorhome parking.

Went to the fringe this year and loved it so much that we are going back for Hogmany.

I assume hotels are in short supply / expensive and anyhow we have a motorhome , but just need to figure out a few details. As far as I know there are only 2 campsites "near" the city centre, the caravan club one on Marine drive and Mortonhall at EH16. We stayed at them both and the cost back from the centre was similar cost of around £12- £15.

Is there anywhere else where we could park? Even a car park would do, but it has to be somewhere where Mr Plod wont ask me to move on as I will be in no fit state to drive. We are happy to walk a mile or so. Need somewhere reasonable secure so the camper doesn`t get robbed the moment we leave it. A pub with a large carpark and a friendly landlord would be ideal ( we would spend a fortune on food and drink in his pub so we would both be winners)

Any suggestions please of friendly landlords that I could email and ask?

If we do stay at Mortonhall or Marine drive will getting a taxi back at 2-3 in the morning be an issue? Will buses be running to get us there and possibly back? Which campsite is better for public transport? Are taxis double / triple fare?

Also, I understand that we need to buy tickets for princess street but what is the concert in the gardens? Is there anywhere to go to keep warm or is it just a case of wrapping up well?

Thanks

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,678 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hogmany Taxis / Motorhome parking.

Taxi fares will start at £3.60 rather than £2.70 and distance will be charged at 40p rather than 25p per 210m travelled. They will be difficult to find as there will be over 100000 people in the immediate city centre.

Free buses are available, for years they were sponsored by a whisky company but last year it was the RBS. I am sure there will be buses again this year but I don't think any announcement has been made. Obviously it will be a very limited service and you should be prepared to walk too.

2. Re: Hogmany Taxis / Motorhome parking.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 15:16