We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

East Coast vs Cross Country train options

San Diego...
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
East Coast vs Cross Country train options

Hi, I am flying into Edinburgh from the US and planning to take a train to Berwick-upon -Tweed. It will be on a Saturday off-peak hours. The internet pricing for the East Coast train is about $10 US more per ticket compared to the Cross Country train option. Is it basically the same service or it is better to use one over the other?

Loch Ness, Highlands, Glencoe...
2,036 Reviews
from US$65.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Isle of Skye and Scottish Highlands...
506 Reviews
from US$346.40*
Highlands' Isle of Skye, Hogwarts...
170 Reviews
from US$583.00*
Special Offer
3-Day Isle of Skye and Highlands Tour...
108 Reviews
from US$288.60*
US$320.70
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,099 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: East Coast vs Cross Country train options

It's only a short journey. I wouldn't worry about it. Sit on the left side for the best view.

$10 would get you 2 coffees on the train. Pick the train that is most convenient for your trip.

I am surprised that East coast is not cheaper or at least the same price. I thought they gave 10% discount for online bookings at their site, and that otherwise, all fares were much the same.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,605 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: East Coast vs Cross Country train options

Basically the same service,just different railway companies.

It's only a short journey so just choose the most convenient.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: East Coast vs Cross Country train options

Thanks, I appreciate the help and looking forward to our visit.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: East Coast vs Cross Country train options

You might get cheaper tickets on www.eastcoast.co.uk for East Coast, and on www.firstscotrail.com for Scotrail, though I'm told the regulator / government / whoever monitors these things has tried to stop multiple priced tickets for the same journey being sold by different operators.

Saturday and Sunday all day are "off peak" so don't worry about the exact timings of your train, incidentally. I'd advise a seat reservation so you don't end up standing some of the way too, though it's not likely to be a full train.

Enjoy!

5. Re: East Coast vs Cross Country train options

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 02:17