We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gay friendly B & Bs in Edinburgh

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
3 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Gay friendly B & Bs in Edinburgh

My partner and I are traveling to Edinburgh on 8 October for a nine-day stay. We're looking for a gay-owned or gay friendly B & B somewhere relatively close to the city centre. I've checked with the two gay-owned B & Bs that a friend recommended--Ardmor and Garlands--but it appears neither would be able to accommodate us. Having had an unpleasant experience with an allegedly "gay friendly" B & B in the past, I have some trepidations about going into this without sufficient research, but I also don't want to simply start contacting B & Bs and demanding to know whether they'd be comfortable accommodating a same-sex couple. Any suggestions???

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,999 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Gay friendly B & Bs in Edinburgh

I doubt you will find many folk will give a flying fig about your sexual orientation,particularly in edinburgh

if you google gay B&b edinburgh yopu will get a few hits,here is one to start you off..

www.pinkuk.com/tourism/b_blisting.aspx?cid=24

also if you google pink triangle Edinburgh you will get a lot of info on the gay area of the City which is pretty close to the city center,you will find straight folk and gay folk mix pretty well in the city

Edited: 20 September 2011, 16:44
Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,824 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gay friendly B & Bs in Edinburgh

Its perhaps worth mentioning that B&B's in the UK are a bit different to those in the US. Its a bit more like staying in someone's house. Forgive me if you know there is a difference, but I'd prefer staying in hotel or small guest house any day over a B&B but thats me. I like to go back to my room for a few hours before heading out for the evening. Not always the done thing in B&Bs.

If you want to stay in the city centre close to the gay triangle there are plenty of great reasonably priced hotels to suit all budgets.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,048 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gay friendly B & Bs in Edinburgh

I'd also like to make the point that, under UK law, it is now illegal for a hotel/guest house/B&B to discriminate against a same-sex couple (or a mixed-sex one for that matter), and has been for some years.

That said, there may be some small establishments that may feel, shall we say, 'uncomfortable' about having to comply with this law. If you do want to stay in a small guest house or B&B just tell them upfront you are a gay couple, you should be able to judge by the reaction whether you will be welcome or not. Larger hotels won't care.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
392 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gay friendly B & Bs in Edinburgh

I can think of some B&B owners who would probably would be uncomfortable and would then pass on their discomfort to their guests. But to say you are "gay friendly" and not actually be so is weird.

Scotand, United...
Level Contributor
141 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gay friendly B & Bs in Edinburgh

Well I don't think that many of the places would mind, but you should respect the fact that these places are family friendly and not everyone is tolerant of homosexuality, particularly in the UK.

Crathie
Level Contributor
855 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Gay friendly B & Bs in Edinburgh

>> not everyone is tolerant of homosexuality, particularly in the UK. <<

Bit of a sweeping statement that. I'd say the British are a pretty tolerant nation..........

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gay friendly B & Bs in Edinburgh

I've been looking at Edinburgh B&B's lately and noticed that Ramsay's B&B had a rainbow flag on its website so could be worth you checking it out. It also rates pretty highly on here.

8. Re: Gay friendly B & Bs in Edinburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 14:19