We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days for edinburugh higlands area.

Bristol, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
3 days for edinburugh higlands area.

In UK with my husband who is on business trip. Have 3 days at end of trip will be in edinburugh mid- Nov. No prior travel experience in UK. Want to experience the area not just drive past it. Help.

Level Contributor
643 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days for edinburugh higlands area.

How are you getting to Edinburgh?

You can do a number of day trips from Edinburgh on public transport e.g. Stirling for the castle and Wallace Monument. There is more than enough to keep you occupied in the Edinburgh area for a couple of days

Bristol, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days for edinburugh higlands area.

Arriving from Workington via car or train not sure yet.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days for edinburugh higlands area.

Will you have a car? If so have a look at some of these driving tours based around Edinburgh.

The Border Abbeys are good and St Andrew's is a delightful place.

Level Contributor
643 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days for edinburugh higlands area.

A car is not necessary for Edinburgh but will allow you flexibility if you wish to venture further afield, e.g Pitlochry, St Andrews etc

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,658 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days for edinburugh higlands area.

Don't over analyze it.

With 3 days, I'd spend the whole time in Edinburgh, with perhaps a day trip up to Stirling or St. Andrews. Take the train and don't fuss with a car.

Kevin

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,782 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 days for edinburugh higlands area.

I completely agree with Kevin. Such a short time, just enjoy Edinburgh, with perhaps a day trip to Stirling or Pitlochry or North Berwick or St Andrews or even Glasgow.

What are your interests?

Abs :)

Bristol, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 days for edinburugh higlands area.

Thanks for the responses. I found out yesterday we will be arriving to Edinburgh by train from Maryport. I believe we will spent time at Edinburgh castle and Royal Mile Wed. Take a day trip Thurs. Unsure what we'll do Friday because not sure of train time to go to Manchester We fly out Sat morning. Thinking we may use day tour group either to Stirling or St. Andrews. Any suggestions?

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,620 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 days for edinburugh higlands area.

It depends on the nature of the tour. What does it take in? I'd be inclined to take the St Andrews one if it includes a few places on the way. If you've 'done' Edinburgh castle, Stirling is moreof the same (arguably better but similar) St Andrews is awkward to get to from Edinburgh on your own without a car so it's a good choice for a tour. If the tour includes someof the coastal villages or Falkland, then well worth it

Northeastern...
Level Contributor
15 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 days for edinburugh higlands area.

How easy is driving in scotland? Do I need an international drivers licence?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
552 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 days for edinburugh higlands area.

Try finding an event you would really like - music, theatre, sport, comedy or whatever - to help build you itinerary. Edinburgh has a really vibrant cultural scene, even outside the Festival season. So staying each night in the city allows you to sample that, even if you do any day trips beyond the city itself.

So on the Wednesday you could visit the excellent Edinburgh Folk Club, if that was to your taste: www.edinburghfolkclub.co.uk/index.php/gigs The List - both magazine and the online site - is the most comprehensive listing in my experience:

http://www.list.co.uk/events/location:Edinburgh(55.949,-3.1625)/distance:5/

This is the best way to 'experience the area', as you say in your original post.

Edited: 10 October 2011, 21:53