We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guided Coach Tour or Car Rental

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
4 posts
Save Topic
Guided Coach Tour or Car Rental

My husband and I are planning our first visit to Scotland in August 2012, plan to spend 2-3 weeks. We are debating whether we should book a coach tour or rent a car and follow our own itinerary in conjunction with day tours of specific areas. We want to spend a few days in Edinburgh for the Military Tattoo, see as much of the country as possible on a relaxed schedule and do some exploring of my family roots in the Tarbet area. We would appreciate any suggestions, ideas or comments of the best way to go and the

"must see" areas, from those who have visited and/or live in Scotland. Your assistance is appeciated.

Fonte Boa
Level Contributor
31 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Guided Coach Tour or Car Rental

If you intend on staying a while in the Lomond area. Lomond and The t Trossachs National park is right there. I believe there is still the paddle boat operating in the Loch, its anchorage on the south end of the Loch (Balloch) also offers a good stoping point on the way up (best cappucino I've tasted in Scotland was in a shop in front opg the aquarium there).

Since it'll be summer, views should be good, walk up a hill besides the Loch and enjoy a view of the loch and its many small islands.

Speaking of summer... Midges!

Whatever you read, yes it can be that bad. Fortunately I only had one bad experience, probably because most of my travelling was near the coast and midges tend to move less when its windy.

The best solution, apart from maybe not stopping at that particular place is Avon's skin-so-soft dry body oil. Lots of people, from hill-walkers to Marine Commandos recommend this.

You can also check the midge forecast here:

2010.midgeforecast.co.uk/index.php/shop

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,771 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Guided Coach Tour or Car Rental

Just to give a little detail to Edumad's comments re a paddle boat on Loch Lomond. It doesn't operate cruises currently, but is still a nice tourist location - check out:

http://www.maidoftheloch.com/

There are other cruises (Sweeney's I believe) that operate from Balloch at the Southern end of the Loch, but these are not paddle boats.

Abs :)

13. Re: Guided Coach Tour or Car Rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 23:16