We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where in the world were we?

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
114 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Where in the world were we?

Just returned from a fabulous trip! We took the East Coast train from Kings Cross, London to Waverly in Edinburgh! Fabulous!!! I have a question though as my geography is sorely lacking as is my knowledge of the entire area! Apologies!

First, the body of water we were essentially following...North Sea?

Second, we spotted what looked like a huge castle at the edge of the land quite some time before we arrived in Edinburgh...any idea what that might of been? Wish I could provide more info on that but suffice to say, it was quite some time before reaching Edinburgh and it looked to be quite a large place, all on its own, at the edge of the water. Thanks for answering my questions!

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,572 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where in the world were we?

Yes, that is the North Sea and the castle was probably Tantallon Castle.

historic-scotland.gov.uk/propertyresults/…

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=tantallon+castle&hl=en&biw=1102&bih=750&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=uBenTsLCI8GE8gOB-piwDw&sqi=2&ved=0CEEQsAQ

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where in the world were we?

More than likely the North Sea, particularly if to the north of Newcastle. Think that the castle was probably Bambrugh.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where in the world were we?

I would think it was more likely to be Lindesfarne than Tantallon Castle.

On an East Coast train, glimpses of the North Sea start after Newcastle with the line travelling alongside the clifftops just before Berwick-on-Tweed then continues for a while when the Scottish border is crossed.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,861 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where in the world were we?

Whilst there are several castles on the route north of Newcastle there's only one that could be described as "large" and that's Bamburgh - the land is also quite flat in that area. Unlikely to be Tantallon as that's about 4-5 miles from the East Coast line and Lindisfarne is too small and generally doesn't present a good viewing angle from the "mainland"

Apart from the others mentioned there's also Dunstanburgh and Warkworth which might be visible.

Edited: 25 October 2011, 21:44
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
490 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where in the world were we?

I was on that line 2 days ago. Lindisfarne Castle stands out very clearly but I didn't see Bamburgh. Tantallon Castle is not visible from the East Coast line.

North Berwick...
Destination Expert
for East Lothian
Level Contributor
725 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where in the world were we?

As a frequent East Coast traveler, I reckon you definitely saw Lindisfarne. Check out images on google or this link.

nationaltrust.org.uk/main/…

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,674 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where in the world were we?

Another vote for Bamburgh. Lindisfarne is too far away in comparison.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,861 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where in the world were we?

I always think that Lindisfarne Castle looks like a grounded ship.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
490 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where in the world were we?

Sorry Peter but I disagree - the island of Lindisfarne is very clearly visible from the train and the castle stands out prominently. I've travelled the route many times.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Where in the world were we?

The description matches Lindesfarne Castle. Clearly seen from the ECML where as Bamburgh Castle isn't.

The rock Lindesfarne stands on can give travellers the impression that it's much bigger than it is.