We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter....Edinburgh...Glasgow...Dornoch...

Level Contributor
110 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Winter....Edinburgh...Glasgow...Dornoch...

Booked from 5th Jan 2012 until 11th Jan 2012 and will be based in Edinburgh..Wanting to know easiest way to get from Edinburgh to both Glasgow and Dornoch. I was thinking if the weather is bad I will have to wait until I get there before I book any transport. I can be flexible and stay overnight and then head back to my accom in Edinburgh. The reason I want to go to both these places is to find out a bit more about my (convict) ancestors. I could also stay overnite in Glasgow and then to Dornoch if needed.......Thanks Barb...........An after thought...does anyone one know of any reputable Geneologists in Edinburgh that I could contact before I arrive....Barb

Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,123 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter....Edinburgh...Glasgow...Dornoch...

Glasgow is easy.There are very frequent trains and it only takes about 45 minutes.

The service from Edinburgh Waverley to Glasgow Queen St is best.

Level Contributor
110 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter....Edinburgh...Glasgow...Dornoch...

Thanks kenko92....That has answered one of my questions...I will be staying 10 mins walk from Waverley Station..Is there still a place called Springbark in Glasgow...There was in 1819....Probably best to stay near the Station in Glasgow have been caught out before by staying too far out of the city centre.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,187 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter....Edinburgh...Glasgow...Dornoch...

At that time of year, with the possibility of weather disruptions to road travel, your best way to Dornoch might be by train. The nearest station is at Tain, on the Inverness - Thurso/Wick line. It's about ten miles from there. There's reasonable bus service (at least hourly), or it's a ten-mile taxi ride.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,123 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter....Edinburgh...Glasgow...Dornoch...

Springbark doesn't ring any bells.Springburn is a district in Glasgow.

The Mitchell Library,Granville St,Glasgow has a family history centre which might be a place to start.

Level Contributor
110 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Winter....Edinburgh...Glasgow...Dornoch...

Dhmellor,,,Would I catch the train from Glasgow to Inverness if I were to stay overnight in Glasgow and then on to Tain?.....Barb

Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,123 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Winter....Edinburgh...Glasgow...Dornoch...

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

Might be worth a look also.

There are trains from both Glasgow and Edinburgh to Inverness.

Level Contributor
110 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Winter....Edinburgh...Glasgow...Dornoch...

Kenko92....I have just checked and it is Springburn....The Mitchell Library is where I will head. Have done a lot of research and have hit a brick wall...I am usually in the U.K. at Xmas so this year I am going to try and find out more about G.G. Father and his Family....from Glasgow before he was transported...for stealing 57 watches.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
552 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Winter....Edinburgh...Glasgow...Dornoch...

I agree with the travel advice so far - all very sound.

As for genealogy, you probably know of this site: http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ - it is a fantastic source for all sorts of inquiries.

I have never heard of 'Springbark'. There is a large neighbourhood called Springburn - I don't know if, over the years, there could have been some mis-transcription of the name.

But the best way to check this out would be to visit the Mitchell Library in Glasgow. It is a fantastic resource for people searching their family history. As well as being able to access official records, there are significant local collections, with photos, maps, directories and other historical resources, eg poor-house occupants. Here is their 'virtual site' www.mitchelllibrary.org/virtualmitchell/ but you really should also visit it in person to get the benefit of this excellent collection. glasgowlife.org.uk/libraries/…home.aspx.

Finally, my guess is that the best way to track down a good local genealogist is to ask on the genealogical forums.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
552 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Winter....Edinburgh...Glasgow...Dornoch...

Wooow - lots of us drafted similar responses at almost exactly the same time - didn't mean to repeat all the previous answers posted in the last 10 minutes!

Level Contributor
110 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Winter....Edinburgh...Glasgow...Dornoch...

Kenko92...Have already signed up to Scotlands people a very interesting site..Also another convict from Sutherlandshire (she stole a shilling from another servant.) she was tried in Inverness and have had some newspaper clippings sent to me...All I need now is the weather to be favourable. I will book accom when I get there....Did Hogmanay 3yrs ago when Madness performed...This time I will be going to Edinburgh by myself leaving my Grandaughter and her boyfriend in Berlin we will all meet up again in London as we will have another week there....Did get a good deal on a return ticket London to Edinburgh for Aus.$68. Barb