We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edinburgh B & B's

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
239 reviews
Save Topic
Edinburgh B & B's

WE are having four nights in Edinburgh next August. We are in our mid sixties and originally were looking for a hotel but are now thinking along the lines of a nice B & B in central Edinburgh. Can anyone help us with a few suggestions of comfortable B & B's with double rooms and en suite? Any help will be appreciated.

Richard

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
490 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Edinburgh B & B's

Edinburgh residents don't tend to stay in Edinburgh B&Bs so I can't help with suggestions of a specific place. However my best advice would be, don't get fixated on being in the city centre. Most B&B's are in residential areas but Edinburgh is small and, even from the very outskirts a bus will get you into the centre in around 20 minutes.

Level Contributor
643 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Edinburgh B & B's

You will be in Edinburgh at the busiest and most expensive time of the year so you might have to do a bit of shopping around.

There are a number of B&Bs not far from Haymarket that I have used in the past and to be honest haven't had a bad one.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Edinburgh B & B's

I have personal experience of some lovely B&Bs in the Newington, Marchmont area. Those areas are very close to the city centre, 20 minutes walk to Royal Mile (or 5 mins on a bus). I would recommend Tantallon House and Doris Crook B&Bs. Lots of good ones on Mayfield Rd as well.

Book early and expect tariffs to be at a premium for August.

Abs :)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
186 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Edinburgh B & B's

We recently stayed at priestville guest house and loved it. It's not right in the city centre but there is a bus stop one street away that takes you in to town on numerous buses it's really easy. It's down near arthurs seat so you can go for a nice walk along the mountain if you like to walk and we be in town in about 25 mins at normal speed. The hosts there are lovely and the accommodation is nice and has ensuites. It's a guest house and has about 10 rooms I think so not quite a b&b but feels like one :)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
186 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Edinburgh B & B's

Sorry I also forgot we were there in august during Edinburgh festival and tattoo and I believe we paid £90 a night but will check if you were interested in further info :)

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
434 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Edinburgh B & B's

I would suggest having a look on Laterooms or have a look at Edinburgh B&B reviews on this site. I prefer to contact the owners direct and not go through a booking agent and I also know that Laterooms charge the owners a hefty 15% just for one booking! B&B prices also tend to be lower than the larger hotel chains at around £80 per night including breakfast.

Good luck.

Level Contributor
643 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Edinburgh B & B's

"Laterooms charge the owners a hefty 15% just for one booking!"

Interesting.

I use Laterooms a lot through a cashback site (one which offers 5%) which always helps reduce the cost.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
434 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Edinburgh B & B's

I tend to like to actually speak to someone at the accommodation as well, as the Laterooms staff will have no idea about the accommodation as won't have been over the front door! Bearing in mind, I'm not just getting at Laterooms but other on-line accommodation providers that don't appear to give you a contact e-mail or telephone number for the B&B until you've booked! Always check with the hotel/B&B direct as the rate will more often than not be cheaper.

If a contact number isn't available on the accommodation provider's website for the hotel/B&B - start to wonder why! It's the same with booking villas abroad. We always google the actual villa owner and go direct to save them costs.

Level Contributor
643 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Edinburgh B & B's

"Always check with the hotel/B&B direct as the rate will more often than not be cheaper."

Very true - nothing beats a good old fashioned chat with the owner.

And if you are staying for more than one night you can often negotiate a discount.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
716 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Edinburgh B & B's

I recently stayed at Doris Crook B&B in Newington, which is a short bus ride, or 20 minute walk through the Meadows (park) to Edinburgh. It's a very nice B&B and reasonably priced. Doris and Eddie are very friendly hosts. Newington has lots of good restaurants too.

I found it by looking at the Edinburgh B&B's here on TripAdvisor. I found all my B&B's on TripAdvisor (then looked up/booked through the individual B&B's website) and wasn't disappointed - all were of an excellent standard and reasonably priced.