We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edinburgh Xmas.

Valencia, Spain
Level Contributor
33 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Edinburgh Xmas.

Any ideas what to do in Edinburgh between 24- 27 Dec with tow kids 12 and 3 years old? We booked Balmoral Hotel and tickets to Festival theatre. It seems that everything is closed on the 25 and 26th.. :(

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,584 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Edinburgh Xmas.

Zoo is open on the 25th (though you'd be lucky to get panda tickets) - and most things appear to be open on the 26th though with limited hours.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
363 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Edinburgh Xmas.

The pantomine, Cinderella, at the Kings theatre has 2 shows on the 26th. The Winter wonderland with ice rink, big wheel etc in Princes Street Gardens is open on the 26th too. Most shops will open for sales on the 26th too

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,422 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Edinburgh Xmas.

Check out the www.edinburghschristmas.com and www.edinburghshogmanay.com websites for details of events on during this period. Also the newly refurbished National museum is brilliant for kids of all ages and adults, lots of interactive exhibits, dinosaurs, and a play area for the little ones. Best of all it is free, and open on 26th from 12-5 and all day on 27th . nms.ac.uk/our_museums/national_museum.aspx

Valencia, Spain
Level Contributor
33 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Edinburgh Xmas.

Thanks a lot. I didn't know about 26th. any suggestion about good restaurant near Festival theatre?

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,782 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Edinburgh Xmas.

Hi. I would second the suggestion of the National Museum - it is very impressive since its recent refurb, plenty to keep your family entertained.

Restaurants near Festival theatre - plenty! Any particular type of cuisine you would like? Vittoria is a family-friendly Italian restaurant on George IV Bridge, about 5-10 min walk from Festival theatre. It is consistently good and offers a lovely atmosphere to enjoy a tasty meal. There are restaurants just across the street from the theatre, Ciao Roma is nice, but not as good as Vittoria in my opinion.

Abs :)

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
103 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Edinburgh Xmas.

we love Spoon opposite festival theatre, and it is the place where JK Rowling went most often to write... ( as opposed to the elephant house which claims to be )

If you fancy a walk from the Balmoral on Xmas day, Calton Hill has nice views ( not really recommended after dark )

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Edinburgh Xmas.

Alan...Does the zoo open every year on Christmas Day or is it just because of the arrival of the pandas this year ???

Would love to spend Christmas in Edinburgh

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,584 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Edinburgh Xmas.

It's open 365 days a year - 366 in Leap Years. Normally on Christmas Day you can pre-book a dinner there. During the Science Festival you can even spend the night sleeping at the zoo and watch the more nocturnal animals.

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Edinburgh Xmas.

Thanks Alan....makes me want to go back to Edinburgh even more now !

Biarritz, France
Level Contributor
157 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Edinburgh Xmas.

I´m arriving on the 25th, what can I expect? I mean, do buses run normally?. Any shop open? Any recommendation for someone WITHOUT kids? ;)

Thanks so much for your help