We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pandas

cork
Level Contributor
114 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Pandas

Once the weather improves i want to go and see the pandas and maybe the tattoo. Also some shopping . Not big into history but like shopping. How long should i stay? Any advise on hotels ?

thanks

Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh
Art Galleries, Gardens, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Stockbridge Market
Flea & Street Markets
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,834 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Pandas

If you want to see the Tattoo then you need to book the tickets NOW

You also have to book accommodation NOW as Edinburgh gets rather busy in August and people will have been booking beds since September

http://www.edintattoo.co.uk/

http://www.edinburghfestivals.co.uk/

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Edinburgh_Festival_Fringe

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
872 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pandas

Booking for the Panda viewing is currently only up to the end of January but keep your eyes peeled for info on this site

www.edinburghzoo.org.uk/visiting/panda.html

£15.50 for an adult. Not for me thanks.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,834 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pandas

< £15.50 for an adult. Not for me thanks. >

That's the charge for the whole zoo - the pandas are free but you have to pre-book the time for the pandas as it's unlikely you'll be able to get tickets on the day for them. In August I would expect it to be impossible unless booked in advance.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,834 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pandas

BTW - beware of the penguins

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fi…

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pandas

Hi. The tattoo is on during August. Alongside the miriad festivals and celebrations taking placing in the city. August is therefore very very busy in Edinburgh. So you need to book ahead and plan in advance. There is plenty to do though, and if you intend on seeing some shows and also seeing the main sites of the city like the Castle, I would suggest 4-5 days minimum for your visit.

Abs :)

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,302 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pandas

Hi Corklou,

Have a look at the Premier Inn,Lauriston Place,you can get a room there for £29,just keep an eye on the website.We stayed there recently,loved it.

You might also want to go on board the www.royalyachtbritannia.co.uk

It is worth it IMO.

McArthur Glen just outside Edinburgh (get the bus) is very good for shopping,its an outlet.

I would stay a minimum of 3 days in Edinburgh,its a fab city.We stayed 3 days in Feb '10 & almost 2 days in November '11.Got cheap www.ryanair.com flights from Dublin in November,worked out about €65 for the four of us for the flights.Last time we went from Shannon but I think that route is finished now.

Do www.aerlingus.com / www.aerarann.com fly the Shannon-Edinburgh route now ???

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pandas

<Premier Inn,Lauriston Place,you can get a room there for £29>

Afraid this will not be the case during Tattoo/Festival time . Prices likely to be in the region of £150 then. If you do want to visit during August, then prices will be high everywhere (supply and demand and all that). However, there are very many nice B&Bs, which may suit - a number of which are reviewed on here:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g186525-c2-Edinburg…

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,834 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Pandas

Speaking of pandas, I was in The Gyle today and bought tickets for the zoo for £10 each - instead of £15.50. According to the person on the stall 30% of timeslots for the pandas are issued on the day so you don't have to book in advance for them. Of course August may be different due to the hundreds of thousands of tourists then but midweek outside of holiday times you should be able to get in on the day.

cork
Level Contributor
114 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pandas

Thanks everyone. Thinking August not best idea. Maybe May or June

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
103 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pandas

Good Idea - the best time of year in Edinburgh - in my humble opinion.