We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Forth railway bridge

Hayling Island...
Level Contributor
17 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Forth railway bridge

I am flying to Edinburgh from Southampton in May for the day just to cross the Forth railway bridge by train - something I have wanted to do all my life. Now I am 80 it is time to do it or I never shall ! Have you some hints as to the simplest way to make this journey ? Any friendly advice would be most welcome. Many thanks

John Grant

Hayling Island

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Forth railway bridge

Day return from Edinburgh Waverley to North Queensferry then return to Dalmeny, back across the bridge. From there get a taxi or walk down to South Queensferry where there are restaurants, bars and a small museum. Great views of the Forth Bridge as well, now completely free of scaffolding for the first time in years.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
392 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Forth railway bridge

Take a train across the bridge. Aberdour is a pleasant place with a good inn and its own Castle.

Even better, sail under the Bridge with a boat tour from South Queensferry. You will get a good view from below as well as a chance to see seals, puffins and visit Inchcolm Island with its historic abbey:

www.maidoftheforth.co.uk

www.forthtours.com

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Forth railway bridge

I agree with the second post - take the train a little further along the Fife coast before heading back to Edinburgh. That way on your return journey you get the views coming back along the Forth towards the bridge. I would also agree with getting off the train at South Queensferry for a good look around.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,967 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Forth railway bridge

Make sure that you watch out of the plane windows as you start to come in to the aiport. If you are lucky, the plane will come in over the Forth Estuary and on a clear day you get absolutely spectacular views of the bridge from the air.

From that angle you can see how 'clever' the positioning of the Bridge was, within the landscape, and also compare it with the Forth Road Bridge.

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Forth railway bridge

The 747 stagecoach bus departs from outside the airport terminal building every 20mins and will take you (over the Forth Road Bridge) to Inverkeithing Railway station, travel time of about about 20mins. A day return is about £4.60.

stagecoachbus.com/PdfUploads/…20747.pdf

You can then get a train from Inverkeithing to Dalmeny to take you over the Forth Bridge. There are about 4 trains an hour during the day Mon - Sat and a day return is between £3.10 - £3.90, travel time is about 8mins.

No need to travel into Edinburgh if all you want to see is the bridge.

Edited: 09 January 2012, 23:58
Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Forth railway bridge

Would definitely recommend a visit to South Queensferry. It's a lovely little place and the views of the Bridge are terrific. Also totally agree about the restaurants.

There is a lady who has a shop there who collects all the old souvenirs of the Bridge and has them on display. She was recently featured on the "Flog It" Antiques programme.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Forth railway bridge

Do check that there are trains running on the day you want to travel over the bridge, with no engineering works planned that disrupt services.

nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/indic…

Planned engineering works are generally scheduled 12 or more weeks in advance, and are usually restricted to weekends..

Edited: 10 January 2012, 12:03
Hayling Island...
Level Contributor
17 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Forth railway bridge

Thanks very much for your helpful advice which I shall bare in mind.

John

Hayling Island...
Level Contributor
17 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Forth railway bridge

Many thanks for your helpful reply to my posting

John

Hayling Island...
Level Contributor
17 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Forth railway bridge

Thanks for mentioning the look round at South Queensferry.

John