We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice (cheap) place to eat in Edinburgh?

Near Liverpool...
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Nice (cheap) place to eat in Edinburgh?

Hi

My boyfriend and I are going to Edinburgh on 12-14th February, we're both on quite a tight budget but don't want to be eating in McDonalds for the 2 days. I'm a vegetarian so may restrict our choices. Everywhere advertised are featuring menus for over £20 per person.

Are there any nice pub type restaurants? Or 2 for 1 group pubs which anyone could recommend? We're staying at the Ritz on Grosnover Street, but will be looking to travel a little bit :)

Scotland
Level Contributor
626 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Nice (cheap) place to eat in Edinburgh?

*bar / resto* - predictive text on i-phone - who can understand it......? :-)

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,841 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Nice (cheap) place to eat in Edinburgh?

I love Hendersons veggie place. I've eaten in their Bistro (just a few steps around the corner) rather than the restaurant part, and the food was both excellent and reasonably priced. Lunchtimes tend to have cheaper deals, and they do a brilliant vegetarian haggis.

For something hearty, warm and no-frills try the legendary baked potato shop on cockburn street off Royal Mile. Plenty of veggie fillings: list.co.uk/place/…

Edited: 15 January 2012, 15:37
Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Nice (cheap) place to eat in Edinburgh?

If you're on a budget I find the local Wetherspoons a good choice cheap food and beer with the added bonus of free WiFi

Near Liverpool...
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Nice (cheap) place to eat in Edinburgh?

Ooh I didn't know there was a weatherspoons :) fantastic!

I'll definatly have a good look at all those ideas :) thank you,

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Nice (cheap) place to eat in Edinburgh?

If u like mexican I would suggest a wee place called viva mexico at 41 cockburn place,theyr food is amazing,and its set up in a really quirky wee building.My boyfriend and I always try to eat there when we'r in edinburgh :)

Scotland
Level Contributor
183 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Nice (cheap) place to eat in Edinburgh?

The Amber Rose on the corner of Rose Street and Castle Street is a great wee pub which does 2 for 1 deals on food all day and also good deals on drinks. The food is the usual pub fayre but always delicious and you can get a bottle of wine for under £10.

Kebab Mahal at 7 Nicolson Square is very cheap for great indian food. You can easily get a curry and rice for under £7.

Mums at 4a Forrest Road does good cheap comfort food like sausage and mash and haggis neeps and tatties. Now and again they do a special lunch 2 courses for £5.

Tha Assembly Bar at 41 Lothian Street also does reasonably priced food and drinks. I had a great Thai Green chicken curry with rice for £5 there one lunchtime.

You will also notice good deals advertised on boards outside a lot of places as you walk around. these will mainly be for lunch and early evening menus.

Also keep an eye on Groupon for Edinburgh deals. we recently had a fantastic three course nepalese meal for £20 for two of us with a groupon voucher.

I hope this helps. Have a great time in Edinburgh.

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Nice (cheap) place to eat in Edinburgh?

I would be wary of buying Groupon coupons. I bought them twice and in both restaurants we were treated like second class citizens and given a 'Special' menu and we got no where near the value we actually paid for them never mind what they were supposedly worth. I believe they are at present under investigation by various government departments over there claims & offers.

Scotland
Level Contributor
183 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Nice (cheap) place to eat in Edinburgh?

I have been in a restaurant with a groupon and was given a special menu but it still offered great value. I have bought dozens of groupons and had excellent deals. I would be very angry if this didn't turn out to be the case.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,791 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Nice (cheap) place to eat in Edinburgh?

Hi,

I have had a number of groupon deals, and enjoyed them (with one notable exception - see my review of the Carlton Spa Day). It is worth noting that the vender gets around 40% of the money customers give to Groupon, by the time all of the admin etc costs are factored in. So if you pay £20 for a restaurant meal deal, the restaurant actually receive approx £8. So whatever they offer, it would be a struggle for the restaurant to break even that way. Of course Groupon is designed to promote businesses and encourage repeat trade, so it is in the vender's interest to offer a reasonable groupon service and experience.

MikeBR is correct, Groupon is the subject of a number of complaints to the trading standards department (which are freely available on the internet).

Please note the above is a presentation of facts, I do not intend it to be biased or defamatory in any way.

Abs

Near Liverpool...
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Nice (cheap) place to eat in Edinburgh?

Thanks for the tips :) we have a groupon account so will look into it :)