We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

restaurants /pubs willowbrae road

GEORDIELAND
Level Contributor
962 posts
172 reviews
Save Topic
restaurants /pubs willowbrae road

Usually stay more central, whats willowbrae road like for pubs/restaurants ps my fave real ale is deuchars

Best Seller
Loch Ness, Glencoe and the Highlands...
1,907 reviews
from US$57.40*
Likely To Sell Out
3-Day Isle of Skye and Scottish...
469 reviews
from US$324.30*
3-Day Isle of Skye and Highlands Tour...
88 reviews
from US$318.60*
3-Day Isle of Skye and Scottish...
168 reviews
from US$579.20*
Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,723 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: restaurants /pubs willowbrae road

At the eastern end you have the Lady Nairne which is a Beefeater. Across the road is The Radical Road tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186525-i108-k47…

At the other end is the junction of London Road and none of the local pubs there are to be recommend, in fact, you should avoid them.

The www.sheepheid.co.uk in Duddingston Village is quite close from the eastern end of Willowbrae Road. It was refurbished a few months ago and I've not been in since it was done. Edinburgh city centre is a short bus or taxi journey away with a huge range of places to go

2. Re: restaurants /pubs willowbrae road

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 January 2012, 19:05
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,797 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: restaurants /pubs willowbrae road

Hi,

There are plenty of people from N'castle in Edinburgh. A lot of my friends are Geordie, and I/we have NEVER been refused entry in Edinburgh. You will be refused entry if you are obviously imebriated, lairy or rude to the doormen. Some clubs on George St refuse entry to large groups or groups in fancy dress.

The average person on an average night out will have no bother from doormen.

Don't be put off from visiting!

In terms of places near your hotel, that area if predominantly residential. I agree with the advice above about avoiding London Road pubs - one of the few parts of the city centre I wouldn't walk alone at night - but maybe that is me being unecessarily cautious! The Sheep's Heid Inn is a good suggestion, nice location and atmosphere (and history!). It is also only a short hop on the bus to Portobello, which has a number of nice pubs.

Enjoy your stay!

Abs :)

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
872 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: restaurants /pubs willowbrae road

"Don't go to Edinburgh if you are a Gordie, door staff don't like you"

What absolute rubbish.

Scotland
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: restaurants /pubs willowbrae road

It is a shame that someone has moved the original posters theme on the thread to one of their own.

personally I don't think there is much in the Willowrae road area other that what has already been mentioned but there are buses that will get you into the city pretty quickly and they run day and night.

To Ashington Lass, the pubs and clubs are all connected and if you have been refused in one or caused trouble in any then you will be refused entry to most of the others.The doormen will have little idea of your accent or where you are from as most are Polish anyway.

Edited: 30 January 2012, 11:35
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
385 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: restaurants /pubs willowbrae road

The Radical Road always has 2 or 3 well kept real ales in the pub at the back of the restaurant-it's also considerably cheaper than the Sheep Heid where I got charged over £4 for a pint of lager last week.IMHO the food is more varied in the RR and varies from pub food to restaurant quality food. The Lady Nairne is typical beefeater fare

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: restaurants /pubs willowbrae road

Jock's Lodge (where Willowbrae meets London Road) has the Jocks Lodge Tavern and The New Yorker (pool, snooker, diner) and both are for locals. There's Limelight which is trying hard to be a cocktail bar with snacks. Wrong place, sadly for them. Doubt they do Deuchars!

Willowbrae is not renown for its pubs and eateries, Lady Nairn being very average: but I haven't been near it in years. I think you'd do a lot better by hopping on a bus to the city end of London Road, i.e. the top of Leith Walk, where there are loads of pubs and restaurants.

The Sheep Heid Inn is *very* old and has atmosphere but isn't cheap, and I notice tripadvisor gives it mixed blessings. But it does do lots of beers. http://www.sheepheid.co.uk IMO recommended. If you want to eat there it would be best to book - it's small and lots of locals know about it.

Getting there by a bus can take longer than you'd think: a 44 to Duddingston Crossroads, then a 42 to Duddingston Village, and a short walk thereafter. But each leg is only a few bus stops and by the time you wait you might as well have walked. Or organise a taxi. If in daytime combine this with a short walk round Duddingston Loch or a quick wheeze up the steps to Arthur's Seat. http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=sheep+heid+in+Duddingston+Village&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&sa=N&tab=wl

Edited: 04 February 2012, 14:56
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,797 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: restaurants /pubs willowbrae road

Hi, DerekG, Jock's Lodge may not even be recommended for locals! I remember this from 2010:

…bbc.co.uk/1/…8554792.stm

I agree with all your comments about The Sheep's Heid. It is a fairly nice walk through residential streets (small houses and bungalows, not terraces of tenaments).

Abs :)

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
440 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: restaurants /pubs willowbrae road

Last time I was in the Radical Road was years ago, when it was the Right Wing. I would 'never' have recommended that to any tourist!! :) However, I've heard really good reports about it recently - it's all been done up and under new management - and people seem to be raving about it. Maybe worth a try?

Alternatively, the Sheep Heid's good - food and beer - but others are saying it's now a bit pricey since it was taken over. I agree with others' comments about steering clear of the Jock's Lodge pubs.

An alternative to heading into town is the Rockville House hotel, which is about 5 minutes drive or £5-6 in a taxi. It's down on the sea front at Joppa, the food's good, very reasonably priced and in a nice setting. It used to be my favourite when I stayed in that part of town.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
229 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: restaurants /pubs willowbrae road

LETITROCK, Willowbrae Road is not awash with great pubs and I would suggest just jumping on a bus and heading into the city centre. I would give Portobello a miss, there are a couple of decent pubs but the majority are pretty rough.