We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bargain Berths on Caledonian Sleeper

Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Bargain Berths on Caledonian Sleeper

We are planning a trip to Great Britain in March and would love to take advantage of the bargain berths. As I was booking them on line, it asked for payment before giving the assigned berths. I was hesitant since I didn't know if we would be able to share a compartment. My husband and I and 19 year old daughter are travelling together. When you do the bargain berths, do they assign your berths and do they put you together if you'd like? Any info would be appreciated!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,012 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bargain Berths on Caledonian Sleeper

On the booking website, you are asked the question: 'To help us match passengers, please tell us about your party. This information will only be used for the purposes of berth allocation.'

You will be assigned to one compartment for you and your husband, and your daughter may have to share with another female passenger. Alternatively, you may be able to arrange it so that you and your daughter share one compartment, while your husband shares with another male.

Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bargain Berths on Caledonian Sleeper

Thanks so much - tickets are booked!

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
156 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bargain Berths on Caledonian Sleeper

I book the bargain berths for us to travel to London from Scotland, when l go over from Canada. When you are booking it asks "male or female" and if you are sharing a berth. This coming May l am going over with my 2 sons and their girlfriends, so we have an uneven number of passengers. I am not one to share such close sleeping quarters with anyone l don't know, so l usually purchase for 6 passengers. I give one of my cousins names when l book and if they don't want to come i still have the berth to myself. Not sure if you have already booked, the bargain berths go really fast. They are already selling for April, so the March dates have sold out of the 19 pound berths. Act fast or you will miss out on the deals!!! Enjoy yourselves.

Ayr, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bargain Berths on Caledonian Sleeper

It's more than 30 years since I was on the London sleeper and I couldn't sleep due to the movement of the train. Only once it stopped did I fall asleep so I only had a couple of hours sleep before we had to disembark. If I thought I could sleep, I would try it again. Has it got any better in that time?

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,146 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bargain Berths on Caledonian Sleeper

The rails have improved considerably in the last 30 years - trains no longer go clickety-clack clickety-clack.

Whisky is available from the bar :-)

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,445 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bargain Berths on Caledonian Sleeper

Bluebell, I too rode the sleeper 30 years ago and again last June--the berths haven't gotten any bigger :-( but I can confirm that the ride is much smoother! Slept like a log.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,098 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bargain Berths on Caledonian Sleeper

I sleep fine when the train is moving - On the contrary, I wake up with the unusual silence when it stops!

Ayr, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bargain Berths on Caledonian Sleeper

I might just try it with the whisky this time!

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,098 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bargain Berths on Caledonian Sleeper

You can get a nice dram of Glenfiddich from the lounge car...

I've recently booked Bargain Berths from London to Edinburgh myself for later this month, £39 each for self and wife, www.scotrail.co.uk.

The confirmation email comes some time after the day of booking, but you'll be put in the same compartment if there;'s 2 of you, as we have been. If there's 3 of you, then you'll get 1 x 2-berth compartment and 1 bed in an adjacent 2-berth, with the other bed sold separately, so you may have to share, as people have done since sleeper trains started 150 years ago.

London, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bargain Berths on Caledonian Sleeper

I booked a Caledonian Sleeper on the website and I ticked "Sharing" to ask them to let us share a cabin together. I received a confirmation order E-mail but haven't been charged. Do I success the booking? When will I receive my E-ticket? I'm travelling this August. Thanks