We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turnaround Time in EDI Airport for International Travelers

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
57 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Turnaround Time in EDI Airport for International Travelers

Hello,

I am trying to plan a trip to Ireland and Scotland, but have to take a flight from Dublin to Edinburgh for one of my tours. My plane lands an hour before my tour heads out. Will this be enough time to get through customs and go to my tour? I have to take a bus or taxi to get to my tour. Also, how early do I need to be at the airport to get through customs in order to leave for my flight? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
872 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turnaround Time in EDI Airport for International Travelers

It may depend on a few things

Time if day.

Departure point of tour.

Flight arriving on time

An hour may not be enough. I know I would prefer double that.

Edited: 15 February 2012, 14:34
Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,488 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turnaround Time in EDI Airport for International Travelers

Where does your tour leave from? It takes about half an hour to get from the airport in to the city centre depending on time of day, that is after you clear customs and collect your bags.

In terms of time to arrive at the airport before your flight departs, this depends a lot on the airline you are using, whether you have checked in online or have baggage, how busy it is to get through security checks (usually relates to time of day) and whether this is travel within EUrope or from Europe to the US?

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,339 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turnaround Time in EDI Airport for International Travelers

From wheels down at EDI to the taxi rank will take about 20 minutes at best. Luckily, you won't be in the EU citizens queue which tends to be a lot longer than the non-EU queue. Taxi to the centre will take around 30 minutes so I would say you have a better than average chance of missing your tour. You need to allow for your inbound flight running late, traffic into the city centre then finding where the tour leaves from.

Either take an earlier flight or stay in Edinburgh the night before.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,684 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turnaround Time in EDI Airport for International Travelers

I can't see any real prospect of you landing at Edinburgh Airport and getting to the city centre in 60 minutes. I wonder if you can pickup the tour en route? I suspct that they would be very reluctant to do so. What would they do if you were not at the appointed place? They would have to continue and you would have paid for the tour.

Where is the tour going? If it is west towards Stirling, Loch Lomond or Trossochs for example they will head out past the airport. You could meet them at a well known place such as outside the Royal Scot Hotel. You would probably have time for that assuming the flight is not delayed.

To be honest it's all just too tight on the timings.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
16,001 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Turnaround Time in EDI Airport for International Travelers

There is no way you will get off a plane get your bags, clear customs and then get a taxi into the town in one hour. We always plan for a minimum of 30 minutes at an airport after we get off the plane and before we get to the Airport doors to leave the place. Planes can be delayed and often are. waiting at a carousel can take up to 20 minutes sometimes in the U.K.

Think you will have to modify your plans.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,020 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Turnaround Time in EDI Airport for International Travelers

< Also, how early do I need to be at the airport to get through customs in order to leave for my flight? >

There are no customs when leaving Ireland (or the UK for that matter). You will, just as in the US, have to pass through security and will have to be checked in by some period before scheduled departure. Unlike US airlines European airlines won't hang around if you are running late. So I'd say 2 hours.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
57 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Turnaround Time in EDI Airport for International Travelers

Thank-you for all of the responses! I have now modified my trip to DUB and am now deciding on the inbetween flight between DUB and EDI. So in understanding, when I get to the DUB airport, I should have more than two hours of time inbetween the DUB flight and EDI? Thank-you again!

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
872 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Turnaround Time in EDI Airport for International Travelers

Not quite sure I understand the question (but it may just be me)

What is the two hours inbetween?

Is it your arrival from point A to Dublin prior to departure from Dublin to point B?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,020 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Turnaround Time in EDI Airport for International Travelers

You should be aiming at arriving at Dublin Airport 2 hours before you are due to depart on your flight

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
57 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Turnaround Time in EDI Airport for International Travelers

Well I had planned on arriving at DUB two hours before my flight took off from DUB to EDI, but I rearranged flights to allow ample amounts of time in between flights or point A and point B. More time and less stress since I don't want to miss the planes. Thank-you again for the feedback!