We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre- theatre near Playhouse

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
glasgow
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Pre- theatre near Playhouse

My husband and I are coming through to The Playhouse early March. We would like a to eat out before the show at 8pm. Can anyone help us by recommending somewhere to eat? We are not too fussy, but would love to find somewhere unpretentious and love good Scottish food. Any suggestions be great thanks.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
440 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pre- theatre near Playhouse

There are a lot of decent restaurants around there and with so much competition, very reasonable prices. A particularly good 'Scottish' one just 5 minutes from the Playhouse is Howie's in Waterloo Place.

www.howies.uk.com/edinburgh_waterloo.php

Livingston, United...
Level Contributor
627 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pre- theatre near Playhouse

Why not have a look at http://www.5pm.co.uk/ they have some good offers around the playhouse area and could save you a couple of quid.

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,246 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pre- theatre near Playhouse

Immediately across from the Theatre there are French, Italian, Indian and Himalayan restaurants all lined up- all offering pre-Theatre menus.

On Broughton street about 5 minutes walk away there are more Bistro type places such as Smokestack and Olive Branch, then there are chain/ fast food places in the Omni centre right next door to the theatre.

glasgow
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pre- theatre near Playhouse

Thanks very much guys. Will have a look at suggestions.

Bexhill-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
68 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pre- theatre near Playhouse

Ferri's directly opposite the playhouse offer particularly nice food, its italian. I used it for a pre wedding dinner for all my family and everyone commented on how nice the food was!

Vic

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pre- theatre near Playhouse

Cafe Marlayne on Antigua Street, which is almost opposite the Playhouse, do a pre-theatre menu. It's more French than Scottish but unpretentious as you requested and good value.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
13,864 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pre- theatre near Playhouse

If you put "restaurants near the Edinburgh Playhouse" into the search facility you will see lots of people have asked the same question in the past and there are a very good supply of answers.

Edinburgh (Scotland)
Level Contributor
217 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pre- theatre near Playhouse

Not typically Scottish but a great place around the corner on Broughton Street is the Basement.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
67 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pre- theatre near Playhouse

I'll give another shout for the Basement, lovely food and great atmosphere but the restaurant area is small so booking is advised

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
71 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pre- theatre near Playhouse

Amarone on St Andrews Square and Mark Greenaway both do great pre-theatre menus although MG is a little more upmarket.