We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edinburgh in a day plus a bit.

Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Edinburgh in a day plus a bit.

Coming over for a week in the Borders with the last day or two saved for Edinburgh. I realize we'll have to come again, but am asking what is a must see in Edinburgh in a day or possibly a day and a half. I figure we'll stay near Peebles and ride the bus up.

Also upon arrival to EDI, we are hiring a car and headed for the east coast above Berwick-upon-Tweed, any suggestions as to route and ease of travel?

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,382 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Edinburgh in a day plus a bit.

If you have a car, rather than use the country bus from Peebles, I would use it to drive to the outskirts of Edinburgh and use one of the many Park and Ride facilities to take the city bus to get to the centre of town for a very modest fare.http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/info/48/park_and_ride_schemes/1170/park_and_ride/1

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Edinburgh in a day plus a bit.

I think your visit to Edinburgh should include a visit to the Royal Yacht www.royalyachtbritannia.co.uk in Leith.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,547 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Edinburgh in a day plus a bit.

To get to Leith and tour the royal yacht will take a half day. Seems a poor use of your time unless you're really into boats.

I'd suggest the ho-ho bus tour to get an overview, then the castle. If you have time left, work your way down the Royal Mile towards Holyrood.

There's lots to see on that route. Without knowing what you like it's hard to advise.

Depending on your interest tour the Parliament building or Holyrood.

Then there are the many fine museums and galleries (free)

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Edinburgh in a day plus a bit.

Half a day to visit the Royal Yacht ????

Have been twice & took about 2.5 hours including afternoon tea !

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
440 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Edinburgh in a day plus a bit.

I think thegoodwitch is including public transport to/from the Royal Yacht, in which case it would take a morning or afternoon, so half a 'tourist' day. I'd also agree about the castle and Royal Mile - loads of interesting sites there - because that's more 'unique' to Edinburgh.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Edinburgh in a day plus a bit.

To answer the second question of the OP, assuming you are picking up your hire car at the airport and are aiming to travel immediately towards Berwick without seeing anything of Edinburgh itself, access onto the city bypass, the A720 divided highway, is easy from the airport. From the end of the bypass, the obvious route is onto the A1 east and south, again a divided highway for most of the route down to BoT. Haddington, Dunbar, St Abbs and Eyemouth are all short and worthwhile detours off that route. Gullane, Aberlady and North Berwick (for example, via the A198) is a longer detour but also worthwhile.

If you would like a more leisurely and scenic route, you could take the A702 junction off the A720 and follow the A703 (junction after about half a mile) to Peebles. From there, it's a pleasant road down the Tweed valley through Innerleithen, Galashiels and Melrose (or Selkirk), Kelso and Coldstream.

Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Edinburgh in a day plus a bit.

One of our main focus points was the castle and probably Holyrood. It opening a can of worms to ask so general of a question and I apologize for that. :-) LOL. But...one has to go with it sometimes just to get those thoughts we may not have had ourselves. The bus tour was something I hadn't thought about. Many thanks for the kind replies. I also want to thank you for the travel advice on the way to get to the coast. Looking at the map, I would have guessed the A1 was the way to go, but was looking a bit of reassurance I think. One thing I don't have a grasp of yet is distance and time. Again, many thanks.

Edited: 06 March 2012, 12:47
Slough,Berks
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Edinburgh in a day plus a bit.

Hi Steve,my hubby and I visited Edinburgh last Dec and only had 1 full day there.We crammed alot in and did the bus tour,castle,the Scottish Whisky experience,a quick trip to see Grey Friars Bobby and the graveyard,in the evening,we did a tour of Mary Kings close.The following morning before we left for the airport,we also visited Edinburgh Dungeons.We also managed a few visits to some of the fab pubs inbetween also!!!Have a great time in this fab city.I'm looking forward to going again and spending more time there.......

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,547 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Edinburgh in a day plus a bit.

Thanks McTut. You're right. I was guestimating the time needed to inlude waiting for and travelling by bus.

Only my opinion.

VA, USA
Level Contributor
83 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Edinburgh in a day plus a bit.

I would definately give Brittania a miss, too much time. Stick with stuff right on the mile for the most bang for your buck. I recently did 24 hours there. Given the choice, I'd choose the palace over the castle, the dungeon is fun, museum of scotland (is free) and you could pop into frankensteins pub (right across the street) for a decent meal. Definatly take in a ghost tour at night, Mary kings close, I've not been able to get in yet, they have specific tours and if they are busy you might have to wait, but if you hit it just right (or book online) you can get in there. Figure 2 hours average for each attraction. Have fun!