We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edinburgh next weekend - Advice please

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Edinburgh next weekend - Advice please

I have booked a romantic break for my boyfriend and I to Edinburgh next weekend 23-25 March. We are planning to get the Airlink bus into the city centre.

We are staying in the Caledonian Hilton on a room only basis (got a really good deal!) so can anyone suggest somewhere close by and reasonable for Scottish breakfast?

I have booked dinner for us in the Kyloe restaurant (Rutland Hotel) on the Friday night, based mainly on the close location to the hotel-Is this a good choice..? Are there any other recommended restaurants for our stay that wouldn’t break the bank?

Also, being Irish we do enjoy a drink so are there any good bars that we should go? Or is there an area in Edinburgh with a variety of bars?

During the day I think we will go the see the castle, possibly the museum, walk down royal mile. I don’t want the weekend to be too hectic with all the tourist stuff..But am I missing anything major out here?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,248 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Edinburgh next weekend - Advice please

For breakfast try Ryans, just across the road from your hotel. ryansbaredinburgh.co.uk/menu/breakfast-menu/

There are a few good bars around the area you are staying in- Ryans, Wighams, Mathers, Indigo Yard and Rutland- all within sight of your hotel.

For sophisticated drinking area you head to George STreet- about 10 mins walk, lots of upmarket bars and more dressy than the student/ stag and hen side of town which is the Grassmarket area which houses the other main concentration of bars.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,760 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Edinburgh next weekend - Advice please

Hi, Sounds like a great plan for a romantic weekend!

Browns or Centotre, on George St (the west end of the st, near to Hilton), do good breakfasts. I prefer Centotre, a bit more refined and swish in my experience.

For dinner, I have been drooling over Kyloe's menu for a while, and by all accounts it is a great steak restaurant. I am sure you will enjoy it. There are cheaper steak restaurants in Edinburgh (Katie's Diner is my favourite, best steak I have ever eaten and BYOB), but none as close as Kyloe to the Hilton.

Bars - you are well situated, George St and the surrounding sts are great for bars. George st is a 3 minute walk from your hotel.

Everything from glistening cocktail and champagne joints to good old fashioned pubs. They will be busy on a fri-sat evenings, but you should be able to have a walk along George St / ROse St and see what catches your eye!

Abs :)

Edited: 13 March 2012, 15:48
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Edinburgh next weekend - Advice please

Thank very much for the information guys - very helpful! I've just come across Bufallo Grill which seems to have good reviews and wouldn't be too far to walk from the hotel - Would this be a better option than the Kyloe for the Friday night??

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,760 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Edinburgh next weekend - Advice please

Hi. There are 2 buffalo grills, one in old town, one in new town/Stockbridge. The Stockbridge ( Raeburn) branch would be a pleasant downhill walk from the Hilton. Buffalo Grill is much less refined than Kyloe, by all accounts. I like Buffalo Grill, but often find the tables a bit cramped and the meat can be tough. It is much cheaper than Kyloe, and is BYOB.

Choice is yours, if I could afford it, I would personally choose Kyloe.

Abs :)

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Edinburgh next weekend - Advice please

If George Street contains upmarket bars [not that I agree all are upmarket!] then Rose Street which runs parallel to it is not to be sniffed it. Both are off Charlotte square. Loads and loads of pubs, small restaurants and shops and a bit more casual than George Street.

I'd agree about Kyloe versus Buffalo Grill.

You'll find a couple of decent Italian restaurants [Dario, Lazio] southwards up Lothian Road and another [Bar Roma] on Queensferry Road - all within easy walking distance. But Edinburgh's easy to get about by bus and you'll get better by foraging elsewhere in between tourist venues. e.g. if you're at the bottom of the Royal Mile you might pop in to Clarinda's for an afternoon tea. If you work your way down to Leith you'll be spoiled for choice, and a separate subject in itself!

northern ireland
Level Contributor
1,598 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Edinburgh next weekend - Advice please

snap myhubby and i are going that weekend to from belfast staying in the fraser suites,

7. Re: Edinburgh next weekend - Advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 08:16