We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryanair flight to Dublin.

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Ryanair flight to Dublin.

Hi,

Just wanted to get some info on what may be the easiest and or least expensive transport from Abbotts House to Edi Airport. My family and I have a morning flight to Dublin on Ryanair. Any advise on the airline would be appreciated. We're from the U.S.A.

Thank You.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ryanair flight to Dublin.

Good morning,

I use Ryanair regularly, I am a fan, the flights can be very cheap, but if you have not used them before you have to be careful of their rules,

The flights are cheap,but you get what you pay for.

It can be more expensive to take your cases than your family.

Read the small print on hand luggage size.

Wear your heaviest clothes.

Print your own boarding passes before getting to the airport.

Only one cabin bag means ONLY ONE cabin bag.

On a flight Edi-Dub, do not eat or drink on the plane.

I never take their insurance.

Priority boarding is not worth it, you will get a seat (never seen anyone standing yet!) You do not need to all sit together on a one hour flight.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ryanair flight to Dublin.

Regarding how to get to the airport, the alternatives are:

Number 35 bus which travels past the foot of Leith Walk, about 250m from that accommodation, and will eventually take you to the airport. Cheapest option (£1.40 per adult) but will take a while (well over an hour) as the number 35 winds its way around the city.

Take another of the buses (for example, 22) to the centre of town (£1.40) and then the airport bus from Waverley or (currently) George Street to the airport (£3.50). Because of the need to change, and current congestion in the city centre, you may not gain much in terms of time.

Take a cab, cost about £25. It will take about 30 minutes depending on traffic. This is the option I would recommend, given the relative complexity of the others.

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,248 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ryanair flight to Dublin.

Fuchia girl makes lots of good points re Ryanair- assuming you have already booked your ticket, just don't forget to do your onlihe check in the day before, if you leave it too late (within 4 hours of departure) you can't check in and need to pay £££ at the airport to do it,

London
Level Contributor
9,177 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ryanair flight to Dublin.

Ryanair - Read the small print.

Yes - every single word of it. It matters a lot. Their policies and procedures are very different from what you may be used to.

Ryanair small print is not just a trivial detail - they expect you to obey every clause. You will be penalised (or denied boarding) if you do not comply.

As well as printing your own boarding pass before you leave for the airport - also check whether you have to follow a special passport check procedure - I seem to recall non-EU passport holders have to go through a special check.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,620 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ryanair flight to Dublin.

Advice on the airline? Yes you should have booked the Aer Lingus flight.

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ryanair flight to Dublin.

We use Ryanair all the time,never had a problem,just read the T&C's .Its not worth paying the extra money to use Aer Lingus,you don't gain anything.

We use a taxi from the airport to the hotel & have paid around £14,to either Grassmarket or Lauriston Place,for us,it is quicker.

Edinburgh - Dublin is about 40 mins.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,620 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ryanair flight to Dublin.

>>Its not worth paying the extra money to use Aer Lingus,you don't gain anything.<<

20Kg bag on EI £12 on FR anything between £25 and £40. Even at the lower rate that for a family of four is £52 of a difference. Booking fee (per pax) plus OLCI fee plus EU261 fee plus breathing fee plus priority boarding if you want to sit togeher or just chance it or the new €10 reserved seating fee (EI you can pick your seat for free when you check in on line).

Also with Aer Lingus you can check in at the airport FOC. Woe betide anyone who turns up for a Ryanair flight without printeing their boarding pass off beforehand or has lost it. Need I really go on?

If you ge the FR flights for ten quid each or less(and by the way EI do really cheap flights to DUB also from EDI) then you might gain something financially and the knowlege that you really know what the term cattle class is all about.

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ryanair flight to Dublin.

RonaldoC......I have never had a problem with Ryanair,but then again I do read all the T&C's.

Any flight I have ever looked at with Aer Lingus has been alot more expensive even with the extras (if I need them) with Ryanair.Ryanair suits my needs,the aircraft takes me to where I need to go & thats all I want.

Aer Lingus may be more suitable for others !

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,620 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ryanair flight to Dublin.

Actually those are the charges even if you comply with the T&C's. I didn't mention the excess baggage fees if you are an iota over or the gate gestapo think your carry on looks too big or there's an R in the month so you have to check your bag in at the cost of a small car.

I flew Aer Lingus from Edinburgh to Cork the other week and i was so shocked when the FA started up a pleasant conversation with me during the flight that I was lost for words (not a normal occurance for me!).

They actually seemed happy to be there and I came off the flight thinking that was actually OK.

No stupid bugle playing when they landed just because they actually have to celebrate getting you there on time. Whoopy doo, that's your job. I don't see FR playing the death march and the captain hanging his head in shame if they are late. That I would appreciate :-)

Sorry for the rant, you should see me get started on Starbucks!!

Yes we will have to differ on this Mary. I just think walking is a better option than Lyingair but that is of course just my persnal opinion after many years of flying.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
13,882 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ryanair flight to Dublin.

My son and his friend flew to Rome (well a Ryanair Airport near Rome). As two lads they did not take a lot of baggage and everything was fine. When they returned to the airport to go home, they were broken and of course, had bought nothing. The Ryanair rep at the desk insisted their baggage was over weight and charged them £35.00 each. They had to use a credit card to pay. They were baffled as they had bought nothing and their luggage was no different going or coming back However, lots of other passengers where also charged for extra luggage. There is nothing you can do, you pay up or don't get on the flight. After this we swore none of our family would use Ryanair.