We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from London to Scotland

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Barongarook...
1 post
Save Topic
Drive from London to Scotland

Hi my husband and I are planning to drive from London to Scotland. We had planned to hire small campervan although we have left it a bit late.

We have now decided to hire a car. We are planning to sight see on the way as we are leaving London 31st August 2012 and need to be in Edinburgh to meet tour on the 8th of Sept so we have loads of time to explore I hope.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Alison

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,730 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from London to Scotland

Hi,

What are you interested in seeing - you don't give any clues!?

A week's drive through England and southern Scotland could cover a lot of stuff.

No point in me mentioning X, Y, Z if you are interested in A,B and C.

Presumably you have some reason for touring the UK and have an idea of what attracts you to the place?? Help us, please!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,100 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from London to Scotland

As a rule of thumb, if you intend to visit towns and cities then a car can be a hindrance. If you intend to visit the countryside then it can be a help. But that's a generalisation so more detail is needed.

Do note that currently petrol in the UK is around £1.40 per litre if bought at supermarkets, diesel about 5p a litre more and most cars won't do more than 10 miles per litre. So it can be an expensive business getting around the UK by car.

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,370 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from London to Scotland

You have two main options from London up the west Birmingham, Manchester, Blackpool, Lake district then cut east after crossing the border on A7 through the Scottish borders. Or come up the east coast, York, Durham, Berwick you can then keep to the coast on the A1 or cut inland up the A68.

You can do it in one go [about 400 miles] But I would split it in two, possibly York coming up the east coast or Lake district coming up the west

Edited: 28 April 2012, 17:43
Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive from London to Scotland

I presume you're suggesting a whole week to progress from London to Edinburgh? I'd favour the west coast route:

Out of London hit the M40. However branch off and go see Oxford (the university not the car factory) and maybe continue on to do a bit of Shakespeare and Stratford-on-Avon. There are lots of beautiful small towns and villages in this area.

If you're into antiques, Stoke-on-Trent is the heart of the potteries. Industrial scale pottery in its time, now there are places to go and see the history of quality chinaware.

Did someone mention Blackpool? Once the favourite summer watering-hole of the working class, still a major seaside resort. Amusements. The Blackpool Tower.

If the weather's good you should stop for a day or so in the Lake District. Kendal, WIndermere, Ambleside, Keswick. Lots of nice Lakes. Lots of nice hills. Sheep. Poets. Well known ones. Kendal mint cake. Lead pencils. Being a bit of a mountaineer, I'd spend my week here ...

Once across the border the most scenic road to Edinburgh must be the A701. Moffat, Devil's Beeftub, tweedsmuir, with options to branch into the hills (Grey Mare's Tail waterfall, St Mary's Loch, north to Traquair House, Innerleithen)

Just a few random destinations. Is that what you're hoping for?

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive from London to Scotland

London - Edinburgh is 440 miles. You can do it one day and spend an extra week in Edinburgh :-)

6. Re: Drive from London to Scotland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 04:17