We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow to Edinburgh, air , rail , bus or car ?

Bhiwani
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Topic
Heathrow to Edinburgh, air , rail , bus or car ?

Hi,

We ( 2 people) would be reaching Heathrow from India on june 6th at 6 pm... done with immigration by 8 pm.

we will be leaving for Edinburgh rightaway, stay 2-3 days there then go on trip seeing Strling -> Glen Coe -> Fort william -> Isle of Skye -> Loch Maree -> Inverness -> Aberdeen and back to Edinburgh and then to London by 15th eve.

I need some help here planning, so the options that i have are-

1. Take a plane/rail/bus to Edinburgh(return), spend 2-3 days there and then hire a car.

2. Hire a car at Heathrow , drive to Edinburgh, do the trip and back.

I think 1 makes more sense as we will not be needing a car in Edinburgh, so i save 2-3 days on rental and the fuel cost both ways, but would it be cheaper than air/rail for 2.

Pl note that I will be moving on 6th night (Jet lag not a constraint) whatever mode i choose.

Regards.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heathrow to Edinburgh, air , rail , bus or car ?

See other discussions on the UK board, and news items, regarding delays at immigration in Heathrow.

In your situation, the best option by far is to fly to Edinburgh. Make sure you get your travel agent to write a through ticket including that final leg - that way, if you are delayed, it's the airline's responsibility to look after you at Heathrow.

The train comes a poor second - arriving at that hour, you would have to travel to London Euston station and take a sleeper train, or stay overnight in London and spend a good fraction of the following day on the train north. Bus or driving yourself makes no sense whatever.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,283 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Heathrow to Edinburgh, air , rail , bus or car ?

First thing - see if you can get your air tickets changed. You should have booked India-Edinburgh & London-India as an open jaw ticket. In fact booking Emirates to Glasgow would have been the best option overall. But try to get a Heathrow - Edinburgh leg added to your ticket as then your luggage will get checked through and you have a good chance of catching the 22:00 BA flight. If you can't then it's a bit too tight.

You could take the Caledonian Sleeper from Euston in the centre of London arriving at 07:00 in Edinburgh. If you want to use that option then book the sleeper NOW as there are Bargain Berths at £49 per person and use a car service to get to Euston.

Otherwise your only option would be to overnight in London or Heathrow and take a train or plane the next day so you might want to reconsider your plans and start in London.

Don;t even think about a car until you are ready to leave Edinburgh as it's an 8 hour non-stop drive with little of interest on the route

Edited: 30 April 2012, 21:39
Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heathrow to Edinburgh, air , rail , bus or car ?

FLight: Are you booked already via Heathrow? A direct flight makes sense. I guess you would leave from Delhi. If you stop over and catch a European flight, a changeover in a hub like Paris or Amsterdam will be far nicer than changing at Heathrow :-) KLM do a flight to Edinburgh via Amsterdam.

Driving: Driving from Heathrow to Edinburgh is over 400 miles, and that straight on the back of a long flight will not be a fantastic experience; if not dangerous because you'll be too tired. I'd consider your own well-being not just costs.

Train: It's about 6 weeks until your trip. You should be able to get discount train tickets. They get more expensive as the date approaches, so look hard now. There are bargains now, it will cost a lot more later.

The problem is you get into Heathrow mid-evening. You will be clear by 8 pm? Or will that be later? Your transport options to Edinburgh are limited at that time of night. I think the last train to Edinburgh leaves London at 1930, and the only train after that is the sleeper, leaving 2350. OK, you get some sleep, but it usually costs more.

Bus: There is an overnight express bus for Heathrow to Edinburgh. Personally, I find bus journeys are not restful, but it would be cheaper than a train. £44 for an adult ticket, National Express. Personally, I would prefer the train ...

Car: One extra day car rental: £30 maybe. 400 miles worth of petrol: £60. Probably some extra insurance or other costs. Cost of driving from Heathrow: at least £100. Plus no sleep - and you will need to sleep ion arrival in Edinburgh instead of hitting the streets!

Edited: 30 April 2012, 23:20
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,023 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heathrow to Edinburgh, air , rail , bus or car ?

Fly or take sleeper train.

Flight should get you to central edinburgh around midnight, sleeper train would arrive early the following morning (it can be a nice way to travel if you enjoy train journeys - although much will obviously be in darkness!

Bhiwani
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Heathrow to Edinburgh, air , rail , bus or car ?

Thanks all of you ...

I guess i have to eliminate driving as an option, ( on popular demand if nothing else)... yes rail /air makes more sense.I guess i should take a sleeper train, get some rest and be fresh when we reach Edinburgh. Though there is a small issue, my friend has just applied for UK visa, so will be getting it by may end ... how much price hike in rail/air fare can we expect if we book after he gets his visa ? ( we are getting £100 pre person return today for sleeper).

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,326 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heathrow to Edinburgh, air , rail , bus or car ?

Rail fares are likely to rise the nearer one gets to the travel date. Walk up fares bought on the day could cost from £100 single, so book as soon as you can.

Keep an eye on air fares as the alternative to taking the train. If you need to stay the night at Heathrow for an early BA departure the next morning, there is a Travelodge very near Terminal 5 that often has very low rates.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,023 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Heathrow to Edinburgh, air , rail , bus or car ?

May end means about 1 week before travelling so expect sleeper prices to have increased significantly - however same applies to flights by that point too.

8. Re: Heathrow to Edinburgh, air , rail , bus or car ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 11:42