We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

parking in Edinburgh

Perth, Australia
5 posts
Save Topic
parking in Edinburgh

We are travelling from Australia to UK later this month and will be travelling by hire car, arriving in Edinburgh for 4-5 days in early June. We will be staying with friends in central Edinburgh [near castle] and have just learnt about restricted parking in Edinburgh. Are we going to be able to park on the street? Will it cost a fortune? Are there any special allowances for tourists???? My husband has a back/leg injury so can't walk far.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
16,835 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: parking in Edinburgh

If you use the search facility you will see this quesiton is asked almost every week. No parking in Edinburgh better to travel by train and not bother with a car, you will not need one in Edinburgh anyway, parking is a nightmare and really expensive, if you can find it anywhere. It's usually about £20.00 per day in the car parks in the town. There are no special allowances as Edinburgh is always jam packed with tourists.

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,561 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: parking in Edinburgh

Unless you have a regulation disability badge for your car, you will not be allowed to park in disabled parking bays. As you are visiting, it would not be possible to get such a badge for your time in Edinburgh.

I would ask your friends if there is a "residents parking " arrangement in their street- sometimes if residents have a permit for thier own car, they will be issued a number of "guest tickets" for visitors to use.

On street parking is scarce and usually limited to a maximum 2-4 hours during the daytime at anything up to £2.50 per hour. The nearest off street parking to the castle is Castle Terrace car park which will be around £26 for 24 hours . …parkopedia.co.uk/parking/…

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,797 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: parking in Edinburgh

Hello!

Unfortunately, parking in Edinburgh is not an easy matter. As has already been said, there are no allowances for tourists, and no allowances for tourists with disabilities. Where exactly are you going to be staying, that will let us advise you more. Your friends will undoubtedly have the best knowledge about the ins and outs of parking on their street.

www.parkopedia.co.uk is an excellent resource. The Edinbvurgh council website has maps showing the controlled zones. Within these zones you will find pay and display parking bays, car parks, residents-only parking bays and there are some areas you can never park (double yellow lines, near junctions and crossings, beside driveways and entranceways, etc). As a visitor you will need to look for pay and display bays and public car parks. In these areas you pay depending on how long you intend to park for. Sometimes you have to estimate how long you will be, and pay in advance. A few car parks give you a ticket on entry, and then charge you as you leave at the end.

Edinburgh Parking Wardens are good at their job (much to the chagrin of drivers!). You WILL get a parking ticket if you overstay your allotted time. And you WILL get a parking ticket if your vehicle is not fully within the designated bay. (I have received a £60 fine for having approximating 8 inches of my car overhanging the edge of bay). Parking meters operate within 8.30-17.30/18.00 mon-Saturday (a few places just mon-fri). Outwith these hours you can park for free. If, for example, you leave your car on the street at 16.30 and pay for 2 hours, you will be able to leave you car until 09.30 the next day, as the ticket rolls over to the next day. There is sometmes a limit of 2-4 hrs max on parking bays, and it can be as much as £2.60/hr (as above).

In the suburbs of the city, outwith the controlled zones, you can theoretically park for free on the street. THen it should be possible to get a bus back into the city centre.

Bottom line would be:

Don't bring a car.

IF you have to bring a car, Leave it at a park and Ride (Ferrytoll allows 24 hr parking).

IF you have to bring a car into the city, leave it at one of the NCP car parks (such as Castle Terrace, £26.00/day).

IF you can't afford that, plan to leave it on the street, bearing in mind you may need to move it throughout the day, in the knowledge that you can leave it for free overnight from 17.30-08.30.

Hope that helps.

For more chat on the subject, check out this other recent thread:

tripadvisor.co.uk/…40567960

Abs:)

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,386 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: parking in Edinburgh

Do a hire car and back/leg injury go together?

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,797 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: parking in Edinburgh

Alanrow, after their epic flight from Australia, I am sure a hire car will be the least of their worries!

I've been thinking more about this - it seems somewhat unfair that there is no provision for handicapped visitors to park more easily within the city centre. Some attractions (e.g. The Castle) will permit disabled visitors to park in special bays, but they have to be booked in advance, and are only useful for visiting the Castle itself.

Abs :)

Perth, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: parking in Edinburgh

thanks, that's what I feared. Unfortunately car is already booked and paid for as we are visiting several places on the way to Edinburgh. I'll see if I can amend the booking and find out what is the cheaper option. many thanks

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,931 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: parking in Edinburgh

Depending on exactly where your friends live they may be able to purchase 'Scratchy's' from the City Council prior to your visit. These allow Visitor parking in some Permit Holder controlled bays at a fraction of the normal cost. The come in books of ten and normally take about two weeks from ordering to delivery. Get your friends to contact the City Council to see if they are available in the area they live.

8. Re: parking in Edinburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 16:16